New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mouse & Keyboard Freeze

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pjstingray

pjstingray is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 24" - iPad 2 - iPhone 4

Apologies if this has been dealt with already - but could find my specific problem anywhere.

I am running 10.7.2 on a 2.66 Intel Core 2 Duo iMac.

Quite regularly, after booting, my trackpad & keyboard have no effect with the cursor - frozen to the top left of the screen. I have disabled the trackpad and replaced with a mouse - the cusor will now move but does not respond to anything else. After several reboots or booting in safe first - it will then work but have noticed some slowness and occaisional things like - activating Safari but with no home/default page loading - same with Finder.

Hope someone can help please or point me in the right direction.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Are you able to boot from the original install disc that came with your iMac? If so, does it appear to operate normally? How much RAM do you have, and how much drive space is used/free?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
pjstingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Are you able to boot from the original install disc that came with your iMac? If so, does it appear to operate normally? How much RAM do you have, and how much drive space is used/free?
Hi Lifeisabeach. Thanks for your reply.

I have a 640GB drive with 140GB free and 4GB of ram. I will try the boot from original disc and come back.

Thanks

PJ

Just booted up and froze as normal - did a restart and all is working - did another restart and still working. As this a intermittent problem it is going to be difficult to confirm that booting from original is doing anything.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjstingray View Post
Hi Lifeisabeach. Thanks for your reply.

I have a 640GB drive with 140GB free and 4GB of ram. I will try the boot from original disc and come back.

Thanks

PJ

Just booted up and froze as normal - did a restart and all is working - did another restart and still working. As this a intermittent problem it is going to be difficult to confirm that booting from original is doing anything.
Alrighty. Well the standard things to try are the Apple Hardware Test. Use the Loop Mode option.
The Apple Hardware Test

Also download Onyx and run its full suite of maintenance and cleaning tools.

Have you done any hardware upgrades yourself, like RAM?

EDIT: You should also look at testing your hard drive more thoroughly. Onyx does a SMART status check, but it relies on the drive's own reporting parameters, which from what I've read only give warnings when a drive failure is imminent. Try SMART Utility instead. It's much more thorough in analyzing SMART data and can catch failing drives sooner. They have a free demo, so take advantage of it.
http://www.volitans-software.com/smart_utility.php

If you can afford it, drop the dime for TechTool Pro. It is, hands-down, the best hardware testing suite available for the Mac.
http://www.micromat.com/index.php?op...202&Itemid=107

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
pjstingray

OK thanks I will set that going tomorrow night and see what results I get.

Much appreciate the help as I cannot find anyone with the same problem.

I haven't done any hardware upgrades - just software. Hope it's not Lion!! It worked perfectly well with Lion for 3 months before playing up.

PJ
QUOTE Thanks
pjstingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjstingray View Post
OK thanks I will set that going tomorrow night and see what results I get.

Much appreciate the help as I cannot find anyone with the same problem.

I haven't done any hardware upgrades - just software. Hope it's not Lion!! It worked perfectly well with Lion for 3 months before playing up.

PJ
All your help was much appreciated - I tried all suggestions but to no avail. I ended up formatting the drive - doing a clean install of Lion and then migrating all my apps and docs from Time Machine. Even restored my mail which I wasn't expecting (had exported it anyway as a precaution).

Having never done anything like this I was very happy to find everything worked and the freezing problem has been cured.

The whole process took about 3 hours which is about half the time it takes to do a new install of Logic Pro 9, so also very time considerate. Spectrasonics Omnisphere also takes the same amount of time. It only took this long because of the size of my music and photo libraries.

If anyone else needs to do do this I would highly recommend Time Machine as I was even able to reinstall iDVD and iMovie which are not available with Lion. However I will also point out that if you want the same User name as before you must create a temporary admin account as TM will not import to the same name if it is active (logged in).
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
If you can afford it, drop the dime for TechTool Pro. It is, hands-down, the best hardware testing suite available for the Mac.
Speaking of which... I received an email this afternoon from Smith-Micro, Tech Tool Pro is currently on sale for 50% off list. ($49.95) That's quite a bargain.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Find another user's password without changing it? | system preference »