Classic Environment Confusion......
    Hi I'm stumped.

I'm trying to install Diablo II on the G5.

I installed OS 9 from the discs that came with the iMac and read it's wise to update to 9.1 or higher.

I then downloaded update 9.0.4 with the plan to update through the other updates to 9.2.2.

When the download finished I double-clicked on the update OS 9 icon and I was asked where to install the update.

The only prob is that the options were dimmed so I couldn't select where to install????

What should I do to properly install the relevant updates and will it be the same process for all?

Do I need to download anything else thats necessary and is it necessary to update at all???

Also, I'm asked before the download commence that the download is something that I should consider before starting because it's an application or something??? I just click accept.

Will Diablo II run on OS 9 as it is?

Thanks in advance. neye:

Yes :flower:

It will run on OS 8.1+.

The changes between 9.0.4 to 9.1 to 9.2.x are minimal. 9.1 was released for compatibility with some TiBooks and 9.2.x just added some extra compatibility on some OS X Classic environments.

I use OS 9.0.4 on my 8500 G3 333 and it is absolutely fine.

How do I verify the version of OS 9 I have? So don't bother downloading/installing the updates?

Quote Originally Posted by NanoBite
    How do I verify the version of OS 9 I have? So don't bother downloading/installing the updates?
    If it's the version that came with your iMac G5 it is 9.2.2, as such the updates 9.0 to 9.0.4; 9.0.4 to 9.1 etc don't apply. You will be able to run almost all OS 9 apps (and older) via 'Classic' as it is essentially an OS 9 machine emulator (it actually boots OS 9...) with some linkages and hooks into the OS X system so that they share the same screen and computer peripherals etc.

Thanks Sooooo Much! Vicky for being online just when I needed an instant answer......I'm currently installing the game and keeping my fingers crossed.

One more question.

To play the game do I have to switch's a bit confusing for me as I am new to this G5 stuff....?

No you don't need to switch, it's seemless :flower:

Just double click the icon where Diablo was installed.

OS 9 and OS X use the same hard disk and co-exist fairly peacefully :flower:

No probs either, glad to help.

Vicky :flower:

thanks a bunch, vicky.

Groves, Texas
    13in macbook - 10.11 --- 21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP win 8
    There is an OS X installer for Diablo II. It will play in X, you dont need classic at all. Check

You do need the original cd's for it.
    Always listen to experts. They’ll tell you what can’t be done and why. Then do it!
    -Lazarus Long

Hehe, there's no hiding the fact that not only am I dire at games, but I rarely play them :flower:

Thread Information