New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help~Can't access system preferences

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tanzzi

Tanzzi is on a distinguished road

I recently went to install Adobe Photoshop Elements 10, Adobe Premiere Elements 10. During installing Adobe Premiere Elements 10, the install would not complete, so after contact tech support, I was told to change my computer date back to 11/1/2011. Then after I installed change the date back. However, when I tried to access the date in the upper right, even though, date and time preferences is listed (and not de-highlighted), it wouldn't open. Same thing happens when I try to get into system preferences (it also is highlighted and appears available). I am and always have been the only user on this computer.

So far I have gone into system utilities and verified system permissions, in which errors where found and fixed, disk are ok, no errors found. I don't know when this first appeared, as I have not had to go to system preferences for some time…

Please remember when you reply….that I am more than a computer dummie…I am blonde, so 3 years old terms would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

What version of Mac OS are you running?
Apple (top left corner) -> About this Mac

I am a little confused about what happened though. Does system preferences come up and you can't get to date and time - or does nothing come up when you select Apple -> system preferences.

If nothing comes up - on the menu bar does it say System Preferences?
QUOTE Thanks
Tanzzi

I have the option for system preferences…it looks like it is available (as it is not de-highlighted) when selected nothing opens, same thing with time and date preferences in the upper right hand corner…seems like I don't have access, yet they are NOT grayed out…hope I answer your question~ helpless
QUOTE Thanks
Tanzzi

QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

When you click on Applications from the Finder, does System Preferences show up at all? I'm assuming you were trying to access System Preferences from the Dock. The reason I ask is because your System Preferences application may have been moved or accidentally deleted.
QUOTE Thanks
Tanzzi

I was accessing it from the apple icon, it is not listed in finder>applications

Thank you
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Finder/Applications is not a path to a folder. I guess you mean HD/Applications, where "HD" is the name of your hard drive icon. What happens when you type "System Preferences" into a Spotlight search? There should be an Applications heading in the results, and that will help you find it.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

If the Applications folder which is on your Finder sidebar does not show System Preferences (which is what you just told us) then it may have been accidentally deleted as I stated above. The only way you're going to be able to recover the System Preference folder is by reinstalling.

Make sure you search first in case it was moved before you decide to reinstall OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
Tanzzi

Tried~spotlight> typed system preferences>"no results found"
When I started to type system preferences> System profiler came up>under system profiler:content: software>under the software>preference panel is listed> date and time is listed version:4.0, supported by: Apple, visible:yes (I can't select or open anything from here)
QUOTE Thanks
Tanzzi

Date & Time:

Version: 4.0
Supported By: Apple
Visible: Yes
Identifier: com.apple.preference.datetime
Location: /System/Library/PreferencePanes/DateAndTime.prefPane
QUOTE Thanks
Tanzzi

I thought about what you said, that it appears to have been deleted and looked in my trash can….and there it was…thank you, thank you, thank you! TADA )
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

OK. I'm glad you found it. Never empty the Trash without looking first.

Have fun and visit with us often.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Assigning destination for backup | Many drives as one »