New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Backup Help Time Machine WD Mybook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jklem

jklem is on a distinguished road

If this is wrong section, please move to correct area

I am very confused regarding backup process for macs.

I have a Macbook pro with new upgrade to Lion. I bought a Mybook that came with WD Smartware software, and have "backed up " my macbook using both this and the time machine

I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but I can't tell if things are really backed up or not. the wd smart ware is confusing and i can't really tell if a full backup has occurred. my time machine says it is using the Mybook for backup, but i want to simply backup all files once and then regularly backup any additional changes or updates

I am thinking of starting over, getting a new external hard drive unless there is an easy solution here.

1) can i delete wd smart ware and just use time machine? (every time i connect the Mybook it prompts for the wd smart ware and time machine doesn't recognize the Mybook unless wd smart ware runs)

2) If I wanted to start from scratch, buy a new external hard drive and just begin fresh I would greatly appreciate advice on which hard drive and backup software to use. (I saw carbon copy cleaner recommended as best app, does it work with or separate from time machine? also saw that sophos antivirus wiped out time machine backups)

I'm sufficiently confused and welcome the suggestions from the forum!

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Forget the WD crapware and stick with Time Machine. If you like, you can simply erase the WD drive and let Time Machine do a new, full backup and go forward from there.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

+1 for chas_m's advice. The WD backup is nowhere near as convenient and accurate as Time Machine. And only Time Machine is recognized by the Migration Assistant when moving data from one Mac to another.
QUOTE Thanks
_Stormin

_Stormin has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule

I would do exactly what is said as well. Time machine is an easy and elegant back up solution that really requires almost no thought at all.

Most of the time you don't notice that anything is happening at all and thats the point.

If you can, remove the WD software and wipe the drive. Plug it in, go into Time Machine, point to the WD drive for backups, and away you go!
QUOTE Thanks
jklem

jklem is on a distinguished road

thanks everyone! I will try this approach...i have read where it is nearly impossible to remove the wd smart ware software on other forums but will try. the drive doesn't get recognized unless smart ware runs it seems like, also when I originally purchased the drive i had mac and pc and the store said it could store info on both in same drive so I may have formatted it for windows.

final issue, carbon copy software vs. time machine? i have read on several forums where time machine doesn't provide a bootable backup whereas carbon copy cleaner does.

greatly appreciate your help
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Andres87 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklem View Post

final issue, carbon copy software vs. time machine? i have read on several forums where time machine doesn't provide a bootable backup whereas carbon copy cleaner does.
that's right but it really comes down to personal preference I think, try both and see which one works best for your needs.
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

I felt the need to resurrect this old thread because this is exactly my problem today...so I DID do a search first! I purchased a 1T WD My Book for backups. I didn't exactly follow the directions when initially setting up the WD My Book, so I didn't get it set up as it should be. While attempting to delete/reinstall everything, I deleted the installation software/firmware/crapware on the WD My Book HDD and my computer. So now I have a blank external HDD. I read the posts above and feel better about things. I want to use the Apple software exclusively for using Time Machine for backup.

Since I have messed up and deleted the My Book software on the WD My Book drive and no longer desire to use Smartware, how can I make sure all traces of the WD SMARTware is deleted? One of the posts above said that it is almost impossible to do so. I don't want any bits and pieces of ANY kind of unistalled software on my MIni. My goal is to keep my HDD uncluttered. Can Onyx fix this?

How can I return Time Machine to a place like a factory default?...as if Time machine had never been implemented.My desire is to get the computer to the place where I haven't specified a Time Machine backup device yet, so that when I connect this WD My Book external drive, Time Machine asks if I would like to use it as a Backup Disk. I would like a fresh start since I have a new, blank WD HDD (thanks to my haste). Again, I try to avoid clutter, repetition, and such on any computer. Will deleting the Time Machine plist do this? If so, where do I find this file? Is it in more than one place?

I really want my Mac to be set up correctly and be as efficient as possible. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions with setting up Time machine will be greatly appreciated. Please forgive the long post.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how to change computer name? | Mac OS X 10.4.11 »