New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Please help!! Installing new internal hard drive with no Restore Disks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maclove27

maclove27 is on a distinguished road

My macbook's hard drive crashed this summer and I just finally got a new hard drive. I should have looked into it more but had been told it was really easy.

First of I don't have a Torx T8 screwdriver. which i need to get the case off my old hard drive and onto my new one. first problem. which should be fixed if i go and buy one.

but the biggest problem is I do not have restore disks. I bought my mac from a used PC store that sold it to me cheap cause no one wanted to buy a mac (silly people) so not only do I not have restore disks, my disk drive doesn't work either.

so what I want to know. where can i get restore disks. is that something i can download? also can i make a disk image on a flashdrive or external hard drive that i could plug in and restore my hard drive and programs?

please help!! I can't afford to have someone do this for me so im stuck wandering in the dark figuring out how to do this.

thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

How about telling us the year and model of your Mac? Also, which version of OS X is it running? No one here has any idea of which restore disks you need until you provide the info.

Also, you can not download a restore disk, you'll have to purchase it. And if your optical drive is not working you'll probably need to buy an external USB drive to do the install.
QUOTE Thanks
maclove27

maclove27 is on a distinguished road

Well the best I can tell it is a 2006 model number A1181. Just a macbook. one of the plastic white ones. I probably sound horribly illiterate not knowing more about my computer. but I bought it used with no information about it and I have just used it since then. My ex boyfriend was the one that always installed and fixed things on it for me. I'm not sure what version of OS X it was running. I do know it was only a 60 gig.

Do I have the option of putting what ever version of OS X I want onto it? Or does it need to be the same as I had before?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

It appears your MacBook is a 2006 Core 2 Duo machine which originally had Tiger (OS X 10.4.8) installed on it.

Since both Tiger and Leopard are expensive and hard to find a retail copy, my advice is to purchase a copy of Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.X) from Apple on line for $29.99 and use it to install.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PROTIP: Time Machine/Lion Issue When Replacing HD | Copy Error 36 randomly comes up »