New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Win7

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

microsnook

microsnook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13" 10.8 (latest)

Ok, Just installed a 500GB HDD into the CD bay and the hard drive had windows 7 on it but when I booted up and held the option key it showed the hard drive Windows and I clicked to boot up with that and it just booted into the OSX.

I reformatted the HDD to make it like new and now it does not have Win7 on it anymore.

I have a bootable CD, and I have an 8GB thumb drive. So I burned the ISO to the thumb drive (or so I thought) and tried booting from it but the computer didn't see the thumb drive.

Did I burn the image wrong?
Am I doing this right?

I figured I could have the burned ISO on the flash drive and then use bootcamp to install windows or It would boot into Win7 installed and then I pick its destination?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You cannot boot up windows from an ISO image, it expects to see a PC Bios chip

You need to install windows via boot camp assistant or a virtual machine like Parallels, VM Ware or Virtual Box

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
microsnook

microsnook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 13" 10.8 (latest)

Thanks.

So I went into bootcamp and clicked on a few things not really expecting anything to happen, and then it said "formatting hard drive!" so I quickly exited out.
Im assuming it was making room on my SSD for win7.
Everything seemed to be working ok, and then a few apps wouldn't open, so I did a restore with CCC and I think I am safe now.

You're saying, that when I go into boot camp, then I can use the USB drive?

Do you know the steps exactly?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MS Office installed a lot of apps on my mac | Cleaning out Downloads »