Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Dec 25, 2011
    Posts
    35
    Question keyboard problem (u,j,m keys not working)
    I have a macbook pro and in my keyboard "7,u,j,m" keys does not work. If i press them several times, a random looking set of characters or symbols are appearing instead of the character I was expecting.

    I have been using a usb keyboard with my MBP. Could this have messed up any configurations?

  2. #2

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,717
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolest View Post
    I have a macbook pro and in my keyboard "7,u,j,m" keys does not work. If i press them several times, a random looking set of characters or symbols are appearing instead of the character I was expecting.

    I have been using a usb keyboard with my MBP. Could this have messed up any configurations?
    Simply using a USB keyboard would not have resulted in damage to the built-in keyboard. I'm not quite certain what you mean by "random looking set of characters". Is this screenshot what you mean?

    111226-0023.jpg

    If this is the case, then this is expected behavior in Lion when you press and hold a key until you get that pop-up. It lets you easily pick an alternate character with the tilde and caret symbols used in many non-English alphabets.

    If you mean something else, then you really need to elaborate or even post a screen cap. Of course… if a normal key press isn't giving you anything at all and requires repeatedly pressing it to get a response, then you either have a dirty keyboard or a defective keyboard.

    Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Dec 25, 2011
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    Simply using a USB keyboard would not have resulted in damage to the built-in keyboard. I'm not quite certain what you mean by "random looking set of characters". Is this screenshot what you mean?

    111226-0023.jpg

    If this is the case, then this is expected behavior in Lion when you press and hold a key until you get that pop-up. It lets you easily pick an alternate character with the tilde and caret symbols used in many non-English alphabets.

    If you mean something else, then you really need to elaborate or even post a screen cap. Of course… if a normal key press isn't giving you anything at all and requires repeatedly pressing it to get a response, then you either have a dirty keyboard or a defective keyboard.
    this is what comes after pressing the "j' key.

    ©˙∆˚¬

    here is the result of pressing the "m" key

    zbcvxz

    I have to press it several times and suddenly this set of characters are appearing then.

  4. #4

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,717
    Ok. Well pressing and holding the letter "J" in Lion doesn't give a pop-up, presumably because there are no accented variations in non-English languages. But… that and most other keys are used for the extended Unicode characters. For example, the character "∆" is normally produced by pressing "OPTION-J". And the character "¬" is produced by pressing "OPTION-L".

    Since you are getting so many random Unicode characters that aren't even created using the "J" key, it really sounds like your keyboard is shorted out. Have you spilled any liquids on it in the past? Hopefully replacing the keyboard will be good enough to fix the problem entirely.

    Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Dec 25, 2011
    Posts
    35
    Question
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    Ok. Well pressing and holding the letter "J" in Lion doesn't give a pop-up, presumably because there are no accented variations in non-English languages. But… that and most other keys are used for the extended Unicode characters. For example, the character "∆" is normally produced by pressing "OPTION-J". And the character "¬" is produced by pressing "OPTION-L".

    Since you are getting so many random Unicode characters that aren't even created using the "J" key, it really sounds like your keyboard is shorted out. Have you spilled any liquids on it in the past? Hopefully replacing the keyboard will be good enough to fix the problem entirely.
    Thanks for the reply. I took it to the store yesterday. Anything didn't get spilled on it. Thats what they were also asking me.

    Btw, the person who looked at my computer said that the "keyboard along with the entire section" is going to be replaced. He said that the touch pad is not going to be changed but then he pointed at the top surface (palm rest area) and said that "all of these are going to be replaced!".

    Any idea what he was trying to say?

  6. #6

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,717
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolest View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I took it to the store yesterday. Anything didn't get spilled on it. Thats what they were also asking me.

    Btw, the person who looked at my computer said that the "keyboard along with the entire section" is going to be replaced. He said that the touch pad is not going to be changed but then he pointed at the top surface (palm rest area) and said that "all of these are going to be replaced!".

    Any idea what he was trying to say?
    I guess he meant the entire top portion of the casing, or perhaps more of the hardware that the keyboard is connected to. *shrug*

    Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Dec 25, 2011
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    I guess he meant the entire top portion of the casing, or perhaps more of the hardware that the keyboard is connected to. *shrug*
    I thought it was just the keyboard to be replaced. Thanks for helping me.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Jan 06, 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolest View Post
    I have a macbook pro and in my keyboard "7,u,j,m" keys does not work. If i press them several times, a random looking set of characters or symbols are appearing instead of the character I was expecting.

    I have been using a usb keyboard with my MBP. Could this have messed up any configurations?


    This same thing just happened to me and the J is in my password
    I am also new to MACs Would a usb keyboard help get around this or am I going to be asked for my password? or would the usb keyboard be affected as well?


    Thx

  9. #9

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,717
    Quote Originally Posted by OmegaXS01 View Post
    This same thing just happened to me and the J is in my password
    I am also new to MACs Would a usb keyboard help get around this or am I going to be asked for my password? or would the usb keyboard be affected as well?
    Not knowing EXACTLY why it is causing you problems, I can't say for sure. Far more likely than not, the USB keyboard shouldn't have the same problem.

    Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

  10. #10


    Member Since
    Jan 06, 2012
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    Not knowing EXACTLY why it is causing you problems, I can't say for sure. Far more likely than not, the USB keyboard shouldn't have the same problem.

    Niice. Thanks for replying

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Mar 22, 2012
    Posts
    3
    i have a similar problem, except its with snow leopard and its the 5, t, g, b keys that give similar random letters and unicode when repeatedly pushed.
    odd thing is that when in caps lock (not holding shift) they all work perfectly. so its not the physical key.
    do you think replacing the keyboard would do it? its an old 98' c2d model
    thanks
    nick

  12. #12

    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,717
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannatitan View Post
    i have a similar problem, except its with snow leopard and its the 5, t, g, b keys that give similar random letters and unicode when repeatedly pushed.
    odd thing is that when in caps lock (not holding shift) they all work perfectly. so its not the physical key.
    do you think replacing the keyboard would do it? its an old 98' c2d model
    thanks
    You won't know until you try it.

    Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

  13. #13


    Member Since
    Nov 21, 2013
    Posts
    2
    "Matrix Scan Line Failure"
    If you look at this thread, someone has an explanation involving "Matrix Scan Line Failure", though he says the only solution is probably keyboard replacement.
    Macbook keyboard problem - CNET Mac laptops Forums

    He says that the diagonal pattern of the keys that don't work are the tell tale sign. For me it was the "3" "e" "d" "c" keys. It started for me when my cat slept on my keyboard and left those keys either dead or spitting out weird characters like §ˆ¶ˍ©ƒ-. That made using the computer very difficult. I found that I could use those keys if I hit the key right next to them right before, so I could type "we" really quickly and then erase the "w" to get an e, but that was really awful! Might work for you though.

    The problem was fixed for me when I left my laptop open again and my cat slept on it again. Not a great strategy I know... but it seems like it was something about having a bunch of keys depressed at the same time for a long time that messed things up, and then un-messed them up.

    That may be useful if you just get a brick and leave it on your keyboard overnight... but actually that sounds like an terrible idea so you didn't hear it from me.

    Best of Luck!

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Dec 25, 2011
    Posts
    35
    Hi, thanks for all replies and I'm sorry for not updating this thread. I took the computer to the store and they said that the keyboard is damaged and this could happen specially if theres any water spilled (my table is under the A/C, maybe the A/C could have spilled some water i guess) and they replaced the top case.

    There was an issue with the keyboard lights after they replaced the top case and i had to take it back to the store. They fixed it also (probably some lose connector) and then everything has been fine till now

  15. #15

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    33,272
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolest View Post
    Hi, thanks for all replies and I'm sorry for not updating this thread. I took the computer to the store and they said that the keyboard is damaged and this could happen specially if theres any water spilled (my table is under the A/C, maybe the A/C could have spilled some water i guess) and they replaced the top case.

    There was an issue with the keyboard lights after they replaced the top case and i had to take it back to the store. They fixed it also (probably some lose connector) and then everything has been fine till now
    Congrats on getting things fixed.

    Did you have Applecare on it? If so...did they replace things for free?...or not (if there was a water spill problem...which they then usually won't replace for free).

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Certain keyboard keys not working.
    By JerseyMedic in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2012, 05:47 PM
  2. some keys not working on keyboard
    By DJZ in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 10:47 PM
  3. Keyboard f-keys not working properly!
    By jakesgirl in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2010, 07:09 PM
  4. some keys on the right side of the keyboard not working
    By Wakefield10 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 09:07 PM
  5. Certain Keys on Keyboard not working
    By KoR_Wraith in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2007, 09:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •