New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

getting zipped files out of emails into a folder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Corticus

Corticus is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I am recently attempting to sever my last attachments to Windows and seek advice on the best way to accomplish the following scenario. Generally, I am very happy with my Mac, I just have the daily task that takes considerable longer on a Mac than it took on Windows. It is certainly possible that it takes longer because I am not using best practices, so I am reaching out for advice.

Every day I get a bunch of emails containing zipped folders. I may get close to 50 on a Monday.
Each email corresponds to a job and the zipped folder contains a file describing the job that I need to extract to a folder on my HD.
I may get several emails a day for job, each with their own zipped file.
I am only interested in the most current file. The emails do not have consistent subjects but the files have consistent names.

My current process, in Windows, is that I sort the emails by subject, and double click on the zipped folder icon on the latest email for each subject. This opens the zipped folder in it's own window. I then drag the file I need from the folder into a folder on my local machine.
As I proceed through the emails, if I encounter an email with a different subject containing a file for a job I've already saved, when I drag the file over, Windows tells me the file already exists and lets me know which is newer and which is larger so I can decide which to keep. I always want the larger, newer file.

I have 2 main productivity killers on my Mac that are slowing me down:
1. When I double click on the zipped folder icon in my email client (Thunderbird and whatever you call the Mac client), the extracted file goes to 'downloads'. As I start accumulating extracted files, I lose track of the one I just opened, since 'downloads' shows everything you'vd extracted, not just the contents of the zipped folder you double clicked on. So, to deal with this I have to clear out 'downloads' after every email.
2. When I drag the file from 'downloads' to the destination folder, OSX tells me if a file by the same name already exists, but it doesn't tell me which is bigger or newer.
Because the of workflow I've described, I can't think of a way to use rsync that would save any time.

Thanks for reading, if you made it this far.
I look forward to continued experience on my Mac and I hope to learn better ways of doing things on this better OS.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Saving to cd's | Possible Finder Issue--Spinning Beach Ball »