New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

General Mail IMAP/POP Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dakrisht

dakrisht is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MB Pro 17", MB Air 13" 1.7Ghz Core i7, iMac 27" 3.1Ghz, iPhone 5, couple iPad 2s and a 3 + 20 more

Merry Christmas everyone!

Just picked up the new Air and have a general question regarding Mail.

I want to add one of my mail accounts to my new Air but I don't want to download the over 10,000 messages stored on that particular server.

POP will download them all for local storage and IMAP does the same without downloading them, rather displaying them.

Any idea how I can download/view only "unread" messages... I don't need the 10,000 mails from the past 5+ years.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!
QUOTE Thanks
Maximus

Maximus is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBA 13", 2.0 i7, 8GB, Intel HD 4000 512MB, 250GB, 10.8.3

With POP on gmail you can select the date from which to start the download of emails. unfortunately if you're running Lion, then you cannot set up Mail with gmail POP...

Archive the server maybe?
QUOTE Thanks
tamaras82

tamaras82 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 2GB RAM 500GB HD OS X Lion 10.7.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
With POP on gmail you can select the date from which to start the download of emails. unfortunately if you're running Lion, then you cannot set up Mail with gmail POP...

Archive the server maybe?
I have Lion and Mail 5.2 It downloaded my inbox messages but not my sent emails, which I would like to have stored in my computer rather than gmail on-line.
If Lion does not set up with gmail POP, there is no way to download the sent emails on my gmail accounts?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Noobie migration issues on my iMac | Crash reporter constantly producing .plist crashes »