Thread: Help

Help

Help
    OK I'm an old guy and have a great iBookG4 (2004 vintage) and I am running 10.4.11 OS. I give up. I know that I have to upgrade. What do I need to buy that will run on my machine (no intel processor). It seems that all programs now want 10.5. Any ideas. Computer is running great but I need to upgrade OS in order to.....Help from you young folks

Help
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by p3phil View Post
    OK I'm an old guy and have a great iBookG4 (2004 vintage) and I am running 10.4.11 OS. I give up. I know that I have to upgrade. What do I need to buy that will run on my machine (no intel processor). It seems that all programs now want 10.5. Any ideas. Computer is running great but I need to upgrade OS in order to.....Help from you young folks
    Not particularly young, the farthest you can upgrade with the iBook is to Leopard OS X 10.5.8.

Honestly, you are probably better off selling the iBook and buying a used MacBook. It will set you back at least $100 USD for a retail copy of Leopard.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Help

Thanks Razormac! Sucks but you are probably right

Help
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    What programs do you want to upgrade?
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Help
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    I'm still using 10.5.8 although my processor could handle Lion (10.7.etc)
    It works for me.

Help
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    I'm still using 10.5.8 although my processor could handle Lion (10.7.etc)
    It works for me.
    Not a thing in the world wrong with Leopard, I just wouldn't pay $100 to upgrade an iBook from Tiger unless I really needed to, such as wanting to sync an iPad or something like that., or if there was a specific program I needed to use that wouldn't run under Tiger.

I would save my dollars and move up a generation or two in hardware.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Help
    Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    Assuming the 2004 iBook is either 1GHz or 1.2GHz Leopard OS X.5 would be fine if you have sufficient memory. Depending again on the 2004 model, it will handle 1.25GB of memory. Alas it will set you back in excess of $100 on auction sites. Only buy the black coloured full retail install DVD.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information