Question is org.tcpdump.chmod_bpf.plist a part of the OS?
    I was uninstalling private eye application and wondering whether the file "org.tcpdump.chmod_bpf.plist" is a file installed by the Private Eye application or is it a part of the operating system?

The file is found in /library/LaunchDaemons/

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    All I can tell you is that I don't have it in mine. I'm running the latest everything.

Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    All I can tell you is that I don't have it in mine. I'm running the latest everything.
    Thanks for your reply. Then it must have come from the app I have installed.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    It comes with libpcap (as you can see here). It's used for capturing tcp traffic. It's very possible that it was installed with something but I can't tell you if it was installed with your app since quite a few apps are named "Private Eye" (which one did you use?).

If you're concerned about safety or security, note that the launch daemon is trying to execute /usr/local/bin/chmod_bpf. If that binary isn't available, it will fail and nothing will happen. This is what the Apple libpcap plist file has as the program argument - yours might be different however.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    It comes with libpcap (as you can see here). It's used for capturing tcp traffic. It's very possible that it was installed with something but I can't tell you if it was installed with your app since quite a few apps are named "Private Eye" (which one did you use?).

If you're concerned about safety or security, note that the launch daemon is trying to execute /usr/local/bin/chmod_bpf. If that binary isn't available, it will fail and nothing will happen. This is what the Apple libpcap plist file has as the program argument - yours might be different however.
    Thanks for your reply. The application I had installed was written to capture network transmission data. So, it seems then pcap thing seems to be installed by this software.

Thread Information