New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

CAn someone explain libraries?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

beachmonk

beachmonk is on a distinguished road

I would like to know more about how the libraries work on the Mac OS. I see libraries in the root level then in the system level and then again in the user level. Sometimes the same "element" is in two or more of the libraries? Is this necessary?

My interest is this. I have a new Mac Mini. My old mini is running OS 10.4.11 and my new mini is running the latest Snow Leopard (don't know the version numbers yet) and I have items in the old libraries that might be useful on the new mini.

Can I play with moving some items to the newer libraries?

I guess I am assuming they are settings in them or profile specific elements maybe?

Thank you, happy holidays. The reindeer have left so I am up again.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I wouldn't mess about with the libraries unless you really know what you are doing

What do you really want to move, Applications or mail?

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

In addition to what louishen said, I would add "pay no attention to the libraries. They aren't for you."

UNIX is by its nature a multi-user system, and the OS itself is one of the users (in a sense). So the System has a Library file (which you must NEVER EVER TOUCH), the root directory has a Library file (required for Root User status, again NEVER EVER) and then you have your own Library file in your home folder (which is not quite a NEVER EVER but more of a LEAVE IT ALONE).

90 percent of what's in any of these libraries is the preferences and settings for various applications. Which library those files go into depend on whether the preferences and settings are specific to each user (they usually are) or in some cases universal (those go in the root directory Library) or in some cases vital to the functioning of the OS (the System's Library folder).

None of these libraries is going to be a terribly big file (except your Mail, since that is actually stored in your User library). Unless you enjoy losing data and reinstalling your system, you really REALLY should not "play with" "move around" or otherwise deal with ANYTHING in ANY of the Library folders. If you're looking to save space, look elsewhere.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmonk View Post
Can I play with moving some items to the newer libraries?

I guess I am assuming they are settings in them or profile specific elements maybe?
Fuggetaboutit. Your apps will create whatever files they need on the new Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

Consider installing an application like AppTrap, which removes unwanted folders from your Library folder when uninstalling applications. this will help you save space.

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
beachmonk

beachmonk is on a distinguished road

All these thoughts are appreciated, AND I GET IT!!
NEVER MESS WITH LIBRARIES.

No I am not worried about getting space on my HD just wondering about migrating to a new MAC mini from an old mac mini. Tried migration assistant and setup assistant but neither will keep an ethernet connection. Migration Assistant sees the target/new mac but then drops when looking for information. I have moved most items through file sharing. Also I do not have a new firewire adapter to connect both via firewire.

OK so my MAIN purpose in understanding libraries is that I want to move my mail folders (A considerable organization for the past 5+ years) and messages within them from my old mac mini (G4 OS 10.4.11 lastest mail possible for that OS version) to my new mac mini (Intel, Snow leopard, latest mail available to snow leopard). This group of files is stored in my User Level Library. Can these be moved to my new Mac User level library without harm?

Or is there a better way to migrate my mail to my new mac!?

Happy Holidaze!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Those can be moved over. In fact I thought Migration Assistant had an option to move them for you.
Try saving the old mail somewhere where the new machine can "see" it. Leave the folder structure intact. In the new version of Mail there is anImport Mailboxes command that should let you pull the information into the new program.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Keychain Info Can I copy between macs | Desktop Grid »