Question Need some more advice,please
    My 21" desktop iMac OS 10.5.8 has been acting up again, recognizing the fact that it has an airport card and that our home wifi exists, but every so
    Often giving tgevlicely self-assigned IP message.

Tonight I hooked the thing up to our Ethernet, directly into our wireless router and things seemed to go fine...

...until I went to the apple website and downloaded an 800 mb "update" for 10.5.8. Now when I start it up, I get the gray apple screen and the little dancing diagonal ants underneath...the ones that look like a single fan blade moving clockwise. The fact that the apple logo is there encourages me, but it seems like nothing is really happening...should I just wait and let electronic nature take it's course, or should j start to worry again? in other words am I seeing apple try to process this update (it did install and required a reboot) or is this something where I need the boot disc that came with leopard when we bought this computer in december 2008?

Try a Safe Boot, then regular boot after the Safe Boot completes. Give Safe Boot at least 10 minutes to complete its hard drive repair.
    Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

Thread Information