New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

User Permissions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ragamuffin

ragamuffin is on a distinguished road

I have a good amount of programing experience, but I am currently stuck on something:
I recently downloaded Joomla 7 and Wordpress 3.3 on my MacBook Pro (Running Snow Leopard) and want to develop them locally before I put them up.
With both programs, I encounter errors whenever they try to create a file path (for example, wordpress gives me an error when I trying uploading an image or uploading a them).
I have already give all of the necessary files the necessary permissions, and have scoured the internet for answers, but I still can't find an answer.
This is really driving me crazy because I have worked with wordpress locally before and have also created files paths of my own with php applications.
I haven't really done any programming recently, so I guess there might be something I'm missing, but I get the feeling there is something wrong with the global permissions on the operating system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

What permissions are you applying to each of the directories? It's very possible that there are simply incorrect permissions set.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Random thoughts...

-some applications require specific permissions on some platforms ie: .ssh won't work on some systems with 777 permissions, only 644 permissions on the authorized_keys and known_hosts files. Perhaps yours needs specific permissions: chmod

-some applications require installation by a specific user, or a user in a specific group. Perhaps yours needs to be owned by, or included in a specific group: chown chgrp

-some applications require links to their executable instead of just using the actual file. Perhaps you need a link in your home directory pointing to a file: ln

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
ragamuffin

ragamuffin is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the help!
I am currently giving 775 permission to the wp-includes file.
I'll look into some of the other suggestions too.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Have you read this?

Other research leads me to believe that the permissions on the wp-includes directory need to be set to 755, not 775.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PLEASE HELP ME!! Photo Booth Library missing and also all my photos! | 10.4.11 to snow leapord? »