Question Switched to Lion, dashboard missing fonts
    Hi,
    I switched from Snow Leopard to Lion today and now my Dashboard is all messed up. When I started up my computer, I got an alert that I had duplicate versions of Helvetica Neue so I resolved the conflict. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it though. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Rachel

Specs:
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Let's validate the installed fonts: Open up Font Book (/Applications/) > select "All Fonts" under "Collection" > highlight all the fonts under "Font" > File > Validate Fonts. What do you get as a result?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Let's validate the installed fonts: Open up Font Book (/Applications/) > select "All Fonts" under "Collection" > highlight all the fonts under "Font" > File > Validate Fonts. What do you get as a result?

I'm a designer so I have a lot of fonts.

Specs:
    Early 2015 13" rMBP
    Well, you sure do have quite a few fonts - I only have 345.

It could take all day going through those errors so let's try something simple first. Move the <user home folder>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dashboard.plist file to the Desktop. Next, open up Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities) and quit "DashboardClient." Does that solve the problem? Note that this will reset Dashboard's preferences so widgets may be missing and/or in different locations.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Well, you sure do have quite a few fonts - I only have 345.

It could take all day going through those errors so let's try something simple first. Move the <user home folder>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dashboard.plist file to the Desktop. Next, open up Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities) and quit "DashboardClient." Does that solve the problem? Note that this will reset Dashboard's preferences so widgets may be missing and/or in different locations.
    It seems I don't have com.apple.dashboard.plist. It goes from com.apple.CoreRAIDServer.cfdb to com.apple.dockfixup.plist

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    I can see by the fact that you have Caslon Pro installed that you also probably have the CS suite installed.

If you are into graphics then having lots of fonts is important, but managing a lot of fonts is also an issue, looks like you have the version of Helvetica Neue that dashboard uses mixed up with the Helvetica Neue that is part of the Linotype set.

Without going into detail, rather than just fix the single issue with dashboard, consider managing your fonts a bit better.

If you are going to use a lot of fonts I would recommend using a proper font manager instead

Font book is not the best app, the free font explorer is much much better

http://fex.linotype.com/FontExplorerX123.dmg

If you really want to manage your fonts well I suggest the suitcase (another font management tool - not free) guide to best font practices in OS X (the guide is free)

Best Practices for Managing Fonts in Mac OS X - 6th Edition (updated: Oct. 2009)

Just substitute use Suitcase with use Linotype FontExplorer
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system

Quote Originally Posted by louishen View Post
    I can see by the fact that you have Caslon Pro installed that you also probably have the CS suite installed.

If you are into graphics then having lots of fonts is important, but managing a lot of fonts is also an issue, looks like you have the version of Helvetica Neue that dashboard uses mixed up with the Helvetica Neue that is part of the Linotype set.

Without going into detail, rather than just fix the single issue with dashboard, consider managing your fonts a bit better.
    I downloaded FontExplorerX and it really messed with my CS so I had to uninstall it.

Well I just feel like an idiot now. I restarted and everything's normal. Thanks for all your help anyway!

Thread Information