New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Switched to Lion, dashboard missing fonts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

RachelE

RachelE is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I switched from Snow Leopard to Lion today and now my Dashboard is all messed up. When I started up my computer, I got an alert that I had duplicate versions of Helvetica Neue so I resolved the conflict. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it though. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Rachel
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Let's validate the installed fonts: Open up Font Book (/Applications/) > select "All Fonts" under "Collection" > highlight all the fonts under "Font" > File > Validate Fonts. What do you get as a result?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RachelE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Let's validate the installed fonts: Open up Font Book (/Applications/) > select "All Fonts" under "Collection" > highlight all the fonts under "Font" > File > Validate Fonts. What do you get as a result?

I'm a designer so I have a lot of fonts.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Well, you sure do have quite a few fonts - I only have 345.

It could take all day going through those errors so let's try something simple first. Move the <user home folder>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dashboard.plist file to the Desktop. Next, open up Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities) and quit "DashboardClient." Does that solve the problem? Note that this will reset Dashboard's preferences so widgets may be missing and/or in different locations.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RachelE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Well, you sure do have quite a few fonts - I only have 345.

It could take all day going through those errors so let's try something simple first. Move the <user home folder>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dashboard.plist file to the Desktop. Next, open up Activity Monitor (/Applications/Utilities) and quit "DashboardClient." Does that solve the problem? Note that this will reset Dashboard's preferences so widgets may be missing and/or in different locations.
It seems I don't have com.apple.dashboard.plist. It goes from com.apple.CoreRAIDServer.cfdb to com.apple.dockfixup.plist
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I can see by the fact that you have Caslon Pro installed that you also probably have the CS suite installed.

If you are into graphics then having lots of fonts is important, but managing a lot of fonts is also an issue, looks like you have the version of Helvetica Neue that dashboard uses mixed up with the Helvetica Neue that is part of the Linotype set.

Without going into detail, rather than just fix the single issue with dashboard, consider managing your fonts a bit better.

Quote:
If you are going to use a lot of fonts I would recommend using a proper font manager instead

Font book is not the best app, the free font explorer is much much better

http://fex.linotype.com/FontExplorerX123.dmg

If you really want to manage your fonts well I suggest the suitcase (another font management tool - not free) guide to best font practices in OS X (the guide is free)

Best Practices for Managing Fonts in Mac OS X - 6th Edition (updated: Oct. 2009)

Just substitute use Suitcase with use Linotype FontExplorer

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
RachelE

Quote:
Originally Posted by louishen View Post
I can see by the fact that you have Caslon Pro installed that you also probably have the CS suite installed.

If you are into graphics then having lots of fonts is important, but managing a lot of fonts is also an issue, looks like you have the version of Helvetica Neue that dashboard uses mixed up with the Helvetica Neue that is part of the Linotype set.

Without going into detail, rather than just fix the single issue with dashboard, consider managing your fonts a bit better.
I downloaded FontExplorerX and it really messed with my CS so I had to uninstall it.
QUOTE Thanks
RachelE

Well I just feel like an idiot now. I restarted and everything's normal. Thanks for all your help anyway!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Firewire Drive Won't Mount | "Shared" issue »