New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Black window, you need to restart your computer

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JoeAmora

JoeAmora is on a distinguished road

Three times when I was on the internet using Safari the screen went dark and a black window came on and said I need to restart my computer. Nothing would work unless I pushed the power button and held it to shut down and then restart. Please help me to understand what this means.
Thank you,
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

This sounds like a a kernel panic. Many times kernel panics are due to a hardware issue. And very commonly it is due to installing defective or non-compatible ram.

But kernel panics can be caused by other things as well.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Agreed with Nick.

First,what Mac is this? Model and CPU speed, RAM? What version of OSX is installed? Is the RAM the stock RAM (Memory) that came with the Mac or was it upgraded later?
QUOTE Thanks
JoeAmora

Hi, thank you for answering. I don't know what that is. I installed 4 more GB of ram about 4 months ago but all seams to be ok with it. It reads 8 GB in my system and I bought them from the Apple store. Any other help would be appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
JoeAmora

Hi, I'm using the operating system before Lion, I have 8 GB of ram. iMac OS X 10.6.8
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAmora View Post
Hi, thank you for answering. I don't know what that is. I installed 4 more GB of ram about 4 months ago but all seams to be ok with it. It reads 8 GB in my system and I bought them from the Apple store. Any other help would be appreciated.
You don't have to be familiar with the term "Kernel Panic"...I just mentioned it for reference sake & for other folks reading/helping in this thread.

The important thing is that we accurately understand what's going on with your computer...so we can make suggestions.

If you upgraded your computer to 8gig of ram months ago...then the problem "most likely" isn't the ram...but that doesn't mean that we can eliminate the ram as a problem area. Any sort of hardware can go "bad" at any time...so even though some of your ram is "new"...it can still go bad.

The most straight forward way to eliminate the ram as a possibility is to remove all the ram...and only install 1-2 sticks of ram at a time...and use the process of elimination to see if any of the ram is bad. If all the ram is good...then we would have to try other ideas.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

I would also mention that if you still have Applecare coverage on this computer...Kernel Panics can be a serious enough matter to just head straight to your local Apple Store (hopefully you have one).

If something hardware related is "bad" (other than the ram or maybe the hard drive)...the Apple folks are the one's to see.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeAmora View Post
I installed 4 more GB of ram about 4 months ago but all seams to be ok with it. It reads 8 GB in my system and I bought them from the Apple store.
Too bad you bought the ram from the Apple Store...they charge about 4x more than other places for ram. A 4 gig ram upgrade from Apple (currently)...is about $200. From an online store...about $50-$60 bucks.

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
Chemadian

Chemadian is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2

Have you noticed if the kernal panics happen when your on a certain wifi network? I ask because my MBP had the same type of problems when i was accessing the internet on my universities old g-network.
QUOTE Thanks
robduckyworth

robduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to allrobduckyworth is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

to the OP, are you able to get the Kernel Panic log and post it here?

If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Hi, thank you for answering. I don't know what that is.
It's not a "Karnal Panic". That's something else entirely.
QUOTE Thanks
JoeAmora

To all who have responded to my posts yesterday, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all. I'm not that well versed in the terminology necessary to completely understand all the acronym's that are being used to describe an issue or remedy to my problems. However, this will give me an opportunity to look up those that I don't know and increase my knowledge bass. So, please don't become frustrated if I ask a question that is very basic to most of you.
I will try to get more info the next time I get this black screen problem and be able to offer more clues.
I will be upgrading to a paid member after the first of the year as I think this will be a wise investment.
Thank you all,
Joe Amora
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« unwanted xlsx file on desktop | Hard Drive Memory Differences »