New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

mac osx hard drive issue running 10.5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

heister1

heister1 is on a distinguished road

Hi All,
I am trying to partition my hard drive so i can instal another system on it like linux - ubuntu. The problem is that the drive will not partition properly i get an error message (file system varify or repair failed) in plain english what does it mean and how can i enable it to create a partition.

Once the partition is created i presume on start up i will be given a choice of drives so do i select the new one and instal linux or do i need to format the drive first!!

Your advice would be appreciated (Heister1)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Many times when you want to partition a hard drive...you have to reformat the drive (essentially starting out fresh)...and then create the partitions. The proceed to install the OS you want in each partition.

Mac Hard Drive Partitioning

If you haven't tried this...this could be the issue.

HTH,

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
heister1

heister1 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Nick,
Will try your option when i have some time;
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Recommend an OS for this old iBook ? | Encrypte my macbook »