New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Custom Install, Essential System Software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fulyq

fulyq is on a distinguished road

Snow Leopard
Dmg Size: 6.13 GB
Essential System Software: 3.6 GB
Essential System Software: 8.12 GB (after erase the disk with Disk Utility)

1. Can someone explain, where the difference of GB come from?

------------------
Lion
Dmg Size: 3.49 GB (without Printers, Developer Tools, Fonts..)

2. Can I clean the disk for proper install or does it require Snow Leopard System files?
I installed it on cleaned disk. Filesystem and storage management were low.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Well SL comes on a DVD and not a .dmg file. You need to boot from the SL DVD, pop it in and restart, immediately after the chime hold down 'C', leave Installer and go to Utilities > Disk Utility > Erase Disk, format Mac OS Extended and in Partition select GUID.

Then back to Installer and proceed. If you downloaded SL which is against EULA, then a .dmg is always much smaller that the opened file.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
fulyq

sry, you misunderstand my question

I've tested it on same Model, MacBook Late 2008. USB install, the source file was the same.

without "erase disk" 3.81 GB

with "erase disk"
8.12 GB (german)
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Sounds like you are illegally installing if it is from USB and not a full retail install DVD.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
fulyq

You can install all Mac OS from USB, why should it be illegal? I could download the dmg files from Education Server of my school. Or you can backup your DVDs to dmg.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help! Can't install Adobe Flash! 10.5.8 | Annoying Sizing Issue »