New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MBA 2011 and making copy of pre-installed os x and software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

I am hoping to get a new MBA soon to replace my piece of s&:# Dell laptop. It appears from Apple's web site that you don't get original install disks of either Lion or iLife '11. I would like to have a copy in case I need it down the road. Is it possible to make my own from the HD of the MBA? If so how would I do this and what type and size of media would I require? Thanks!

// MacBook Air mid2011 i5 4gb ram 256SSD // 2009 24"iMac 3.06 C2D nVidia 130GT 512mb // iPad Mini 64gb SOLD // iPad2 64gb 3G // iPhone4 32gb SOLD // iPod Nano Gen5 // iPod Shuffle 2gb Gen4 // iPod Video 80gb //
QUOTE Thanks
Mini_mi

Mini_mi is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme

Yes, You can use Super Duper, CC Cloner to make a copy of your drive to an external. The size of the external drive will be dependent on the size of the drive you have in the MBA you ordered. You will always be able to restore your MBA from the cloud. Once you purchase a computer with Lion on it, you own it (Lion)and can reinstall even whenever you need to.
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

Both good ideas, and if money weren't the issue I would go for an accessory like the net dock you mentioned, chas m.
After I posted this, I found this:
How to make a bootable Lion install disc or drive | Macworld

Think it would do the trick? I guess if it did iLife wouldn't be on it though.

// MacBook Air mid2011 i5 4gb ram 256SSD // 2009 24"iMac 3.06 C2D nVidia 130GT 512mb // iPad Mini 64gb SOLD // iPad2 64gb 3G // iPhone4 32gb SOLD // iPod Nano Gen5 // iPod Shuffle 2gb Gen4 // iPod Video 80gb //
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

I also wish when you ordered a new MBA from Apple that they let you choose which os x, Snow Leopard, or Lion cause I am happy with my Snow Leopard on my iMac and have also read complaints from lots of people who preferred iLife '09 to 11. And I personally have had not one single problem with iLife '09.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Deleting printer drivers folder... | iCloud failure to send verification email »