New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

boot from disc problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

johneclipse

johneclipse is on a distinguished road

I have a mac mini running panther 10.4. It wont boot from the "install disc". I get to the white screen with apple symbol. then the symbol turns into a circle with a line through it and freezes up. Boots fine from the hard disc. Any ideas? really want to format the drive and start clean
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

Did this install disc come with the computer when new, or are you referring to an after market disc? Panther is O X.3 and Tiger is OS X.4. If the disc is silver grey then it will NEVER install as it is a model specific disc.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
johneclipse

As far as I know the discs came with the mini when purchased. I purchased it used from a 3rd party. Discs are a 3 disc set. Blak face with a grey X says panther 10.3. But the Mac says 10.4 panther
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

OS X 10.4 is not Panther, it's Tiger. If your disks are indeed 10.3 Panther, that's why they won't work to boot the Mini if the Mini originally came with Tiger installed.
QUOTE Thanks
johneclipse

So I need to find a copy of tiger to try? Next question is can I purchase lion and install it directly from tiger? Or is there a specific way I would have to upgrade? Sorry I'm new to Mac. Always has a windows computer and tryin to figure this out as I go. Somewhere told me I had to go from current, to leopard to lion. Which is honestly more than im willing to do lol
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« TestNav Unix command for Safari and Java 32-bit mode | Help Needed »