New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help needed.. Icon folders gone!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oscaragner

oscaragner is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Yesterday i shut down my MacBook Pro(mid 2011) and went to bed.
This morning when i opened it again, it couldn't start. It just kept loading with that spinning gear and showing the grey apple-logo. I shut it down and opened in safe mode.. It worked and i could reboot. Now my computer works, but i lost all my icon folders. I can see the text, the names of the folders, but there is no image/icon. It's very annoying and i have searched the internet for hours and hours. I can't find an answer to it, so i hope that you can help me!

Kind regards

Oscar
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I'm not sure what is causing it to not start up normally.

If you get that fixed, for the icon issue, I would start here:
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences
and move this file: com.apple.FolderActions.plist
to your Desktop.

Now, restart the computer.
It will make a new file in the same location as above, set to default values.

Did that help?
QUOTE Thanks
oscaragner

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
I'm not sure what is causing it to not start up normally.

If you get that fixed, for the icon issue, I would start here:
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences
and move this file: com.apple.FolderActions.plist
to your Desktop.

Now, restart the computer.
It will make a new file in the same location as above, set to default values.

Did that help?
Thanks for the respond.

On my computer i can only find preferences as following: Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences.. Theres all those com.apple.xxxx.whatever-files, but there is no filed with that specific name.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

You didn't follow the path I gave. Look closely. I don't know the name of YourUserName folder, but you do.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Are you running Lion? If so, press Option and select the Go menu to get to your Library folder.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
oscaragner

Yes i am running Lion.

I tried to follow that path, but there is no folder located in YourUserName called Library. In my YourUserName-folder i have the following folders: Applications, Pictures, Movies, Music, Transitions, Websites, Public, Desktop and Documents.. maybe some of the names are different from yours. I am running Danish on my computer, so i just translated the words.

Cradom, i'm not sure what you mean? When i press the option key, where should i click? Because the option key itself, doesn't open anything?!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Open Finder
press and hold Option
go to the menu bar - click on Go
you will now see your Library folder - click it
you can now let go of Option

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
oscaragner

Ok, good instructions bobtomey.

I have now located the file, moved it to my desktop and restarted. It didn't work

Any other suggestions?

And should i put the file back in the folder, or just delete it?(FolderAction.....-file on my desktop)
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscaragner View Post
Yes i am running Lion.

I tried to follow that path, but there is no folder located in YourUserName called Library.
Yeah, there is. It's just hidden in Lion. Bob's instructions are what you needed. What he needed was which OS you have. That's always important to include with your initial question.
QUOTE Thanks
oscaragner

Quote:
Yeah, there is. It's just hidden in Lion. Bob's instructions are what you needed. What he needed was which OS you have. That's always important to include with your initial question.
Yes, my bad.

But do you have an answer to my problem?
QUOTE Thanks
Kristen

Kristen is on a distinguished road

Help! Couldn't find where to start a new thread, so I'll post this here and see if I get a response. I'm not used to this place, and may not find this location again, so I'd love an answer into my inbox. Thanks. gemsandbeyond at aol dot com.

How do I convert a "read only" html (or anything "read only") into a regular web usable format?

Thanks!
gemsandbeyond at aol dot com. Please reply here. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
phughes

phughes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hello,

Yesterday i shut down my MacBook Pro(mid 2011) and went to bed.
This morning when i opened it again, it couldn't start. It just kept loading with that spinning gear and showing the grey apple-logo. I shut it down and opened in safe mode.. It worked and i could reboot. Now my computer works, but i lost all my icon folders. I can see the text, the names of the folders, but there is no image/icon. It's very annoying and i have searched the internet for hours and hours. I can't find an answer to it, so i hope that you can help me!

Kind regards

Oscar
I had the same problem the other day with Snow Leopard. I could see the text for the folders but not the icons. I booted to my install disk and did a disk repair and permission repair. The folders returned. I do not know how they implement disk repair in Lion since they didn't ship it with a disk, but a disk repair and permission repair worked for my machine.

Good luck
QUOTE Thanks
oscaragner

Quote:
Originally Posted by phughes View Post
I had the same problem the other day with Snow Leopard. I could see the text for the folders but not the icons. I booted to my install disk and did a disk repair and permission repair. The folders returned. I do not know how they implement disk repair in Lion since they didn't ship it with a disk, but a disk repair and permission repair worked for my machine.

Good luck
I have already tried that, but I will try again.

Thanks anyway

Oscar
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:

but do you have an answer to my problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomacsh View Post
i'm not sure what is causing it to not start up normally.
QUOTE Thanks
oscaragner

Quote:
I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny or..?

The PROBLEM is that i am missing icons on all my folders.. do you have a solution to this?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« need to install 10.6 for new printer. | Flip 4 Mac (DRM Protected Content Issue) »