Specs:
    iMac OS X 10.11.5; iPad2 (8.1.2-12B440); New iPad; MS-Office for Mac 2011 (14.5.5)
    Question Password Prompts and iTunes
    Dear Mac Users,

as a proud owner of a brand new iMac (OS X, 10.7.2) I am still organising to change from PC to my Mac.

Two rather banal points I cannot solve:

1) In settings (Security->General) I un-clicked "Require Password after sleep or screen saver begins", yet these prompts come up every time after sleep. How to get rid of them.

2) I guess I can transfer old files from my PC with a separate HD (or maybe a LAN cable). But what about the transfer of iTunes library with music, books, apps, playlists, etc.?

Thank you so much.

Felix

Quote Originally Posted by fak119 View Post
    Dear Mac Users,

as a proud owner of a brand new iMac (OS X, 10.7.2) I am still organising to change from PC to my Mac.
    Welcome to the Forums and to Mac OS X!

1) In settings (Security->General) I un-clicked "Require Password after sleep or screen saver begins", yet these prompts come up every time after sleep. How to get rid of them.
    More likely than not, the file that stores this preference is corrupt. It could also be some weird permissions issue. I'm going to recommend a couple free tools to download. These will be very useful down the road for any issues you may have.

Onyx
    EasyFind

First, use Onyx to repair permissions. This probably won't be the fix, but it's more foolproof to try first.

If that fails, you'll need to delete the preference file that store that option. It's found in you user Library, but since Apple has rather foolishly seen fit to hide that Library from us in Lion, I'm going to recommend using EasyFind to simply search for it more easily. That file is com.apple.screensaver.plist

You will find it located in yourhomefolder/Library/Preferences
    Delete it, or move it to your Desktop. Then log out. When you log back in, OS X will recreate a virgin copy of that file. Hopefully that will fix that.

2) I guess I can transfer old files from my PC with a separate HD (or maybe a LAN cable). But what about the transfer of iTunes library with music, books, apps, playlists, etc.?
    It's probably simplest to use the Windows Migration Assistant.
    iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information