New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Password Prompts and iTunes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fak119

fak119 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac OS X 10.9.3(13D65); iPad2; New iPad; MS-Office for Mac 2011

Dear Mac Users,

as a proud owner of a brand new iMac (OS X, 10.7.2) I am still organising to change from PC to my Mac.

Two rather banal points I cannot solve:

1) In settings (Security->General) I un-clicked "Require Password after sleep or screen saver begins", yet these prompts come up every time after sleep. How to get rid of them.

2) I guess I can transfer old files from my PC with a separate HD (or maybe a LAN cable). But what about the transfer of iTunes library with music, books, apps, playlists, etc.?

Thank you so much.

Felix
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fak119 View Post
Dear Mac Users,

as a proud owner of a brand new iMac (OS X, 10.7.2) I am still organising to change from PC to my Mac.
Welcome to the Forums and to Mac OS X!

Quote:
1) In settings (Security->General) I un-clicked "Require Password after sleep or screen saver begins", yet these prompts come up every time after sleep. How to get rid of them.
More likely than not, the file that stores this preference is corrupt. It could also be some weird permissions issue. I'm going to recommend a couple free tools to download. These will be very useful down the road for any issues you may have.

Onyx
EasyFind

First, use Onyx to repair permissions. This probably won't be the fix, but it's more foolproof to try first.

If that fails, you'll need to delete the preference file that store that option. It's found in you user Library, but since Apple has rather foolishly seen fit to hide that Library from us in Lion, I'm going to recommend using EasyFind to simply search for it more easily. That file is com.apple.screensaver.plist

You will find it located in yourhomefolder/Library/Preferences
Delete it, or move it to your Desktop. Then log out. When you log back in, OS X will recreate a virgin copy of that file. Hopefully that will fix that.

Quote:
2) I guess I can transfer old files from my PC with a separate HD (or maybe a LAN cable). But what about the transfer of iTunes library with music, books, apps, playlists, etc.?
It's probably simplest to use the Windows Migration Assistant.
iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wait, wait, wait, crash...on boot. | Why is Terminal opening? »