New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Can I repair disk by holding "Option" instead of "C"

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mac Noobster

Mac Noobster is on a distinguished road

I want to run repair disk on my mac. . But I don't want to accidentally erase my HD and reinstall the OS!

Can I hold the "option" key during start up and select the OSX DVD on the grey screen to get to disk utility and repair the disk?

Is that the same as booting from DVD by holding "C"?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Noobster

Holding "C" hasn't been working for me. That's why I ask. Hope someone can let me know. Need to run a quick repair using disk utility.. booting from OSX DVD so that I can partition my drive for bootcamp.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Holding C forces the mac to boot from a bootable dvd.
Holding option gives you a choice of bootable devices/systems if connected.
Essentially the same thing. If holding c isn't working you sure it's still bootable? Not scratched too badly or wrong disk?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
Mac Noobster

No scratches. It's a replacement dvd. when it boots from dvd it either gives me the circle with the line through it and ejects after a minute or two.. .. or. . gives the loading "pinwheel" kinda thing on the boot thing constantly checking the DVD in the drive for over 10 minutes.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Well we need to know a few things...
What mac exactly do you have?
What version of OS X are you running?
Is the dvd machine specific or a retail dvd?

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And where did the replacement come from? If it is a silver model specific install disc, must be from an identical model machine, including dates of manufacture.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« dragging does nothing? Lion | iMac won't boot from OS Install CD for disk repair »