New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

change directory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jch57

jch57 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

On terminal every i type in 'pwd' it displays the word dropbox before my user ID, is there anyway i can reverse this?

Any help would be appreicated

#completenovice
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Just to clarify, if I execute pwd in my home directory, I get what you'd expect: /Users/vansmith. Are you saying that you get something similar to the following: /Users/dropboxvansmith?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jch57

Yes I get /Users/jordanHarris/Dropbox, i attempted to link my documents with dropbox by typing in cd dropbox into terminal.

I just want to revert back to how it was before i tampered with it
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

pwd is doing what it should - you're in your Dropbox folder. If you changed into the Dropbox folder, that would become your current working directory.

I'm still unsure what you did. What do you mean by "linking" your documents with Dropbox?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jch57

This is the two lines i put into terminal in order to make dropbox my default documents folder:
jordanHarris$ cd dropbox
jc-mac-pro:dropbox jordanHarris$ -s~/Documents/ Documents
-bash: -s~/Documents/: No such file or directory
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

You're missing part of a command there. The -s at the beginning is called a parameter or a switch. Think of it as something that augments a command. With that said, my guess is that you meant to execute the following:
Code:
ln -s ~/Documents/ Documents
Might I ask what it is that you're trying to accomplish?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jch57

I saw a youtube clip of how to make Dropbox your default document folder so i could have documents on multiple devices and they would sync automatically.

That was the code that was displayed on the screen and I just copied it, pretty stupid thing to do.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

You'd have to delete your Documents folder and then symlink it to ~/Dropbox which I'd highly recommend against doing. Although possible, note that content you don't necessarily create may be stored in ~/Documents (using myself as an example, I have MS Office and Civ4 data stored there).

Why not just save things to your Dropbox folder? Wouldn't that be much easier?

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jch57

That's what i've began doing, makes sense.

Just want to know whether i've done some irreparable damage or interfered with the settings that will affect the performance of the computer?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch57 View Post
That's what i've began doing, makes sense.

Just want to know whether i've done some irreparable damage or interfered with the settings that will affect the performance of the computer?
The commands you entered above are as follows (quoted for ease of explanation):
Quote:
Originally Posted by jch57 View Post
jordanHarris$ cd dropbox
jc-mac-pro:dropbox jordanHarris$ -s~/Documents/ Documents
-bash: -s~/Documents/: No such file or directory
The first one (cd dropbox) simply changes the directory which is akin to opening a folder in Finder. The second command (-s~/Documents/ Documents) isn't actually a command so nothing happened.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jch57

That's put my mind at rest. Many thanks for your swift assistance, I won't be trying anything like that again without proper help.

Thanks Again
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Have I restored eMac to factory settings? | Everything's screwed. »