New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

MacBook doesn't BOOT-UP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

B34R51

B34R51 is on a distinguished road

The MacBook is my wife's of 34yrs. She is a H.S. teacher .Yesterday as she was leaving for work she closed the laptop put it in her case with the A/c power adapter. and left. (I seriously doubt she "shut down" the cpu.) Upon arriving @ the school it sat upon her desk "not plugged into the A/c adapter." When she arrived at home she tried to "boot-up" her MAC... after severall failed attempts at start-up she said what I have just related above.... and then plugged it in with Mag A/c adapter. Every hour last night and again this morning every attempt at BOOT has FAILED.
1.)Depress "start button upper righthand corner.
2.) Screen turns grey with an APPLE and bar graph at the bottom of screen.
3.) Bar graph shows progress slowly, goes off the screen and returns showing movement.
4.) After several reappearences the screen goes BLACK. No sound just BLACK.

I told her last night that it is probably the BATTERY. She is in need of her CPU as she is taking her MASTERS onle with U of Phoenix.
Any help would be appreciated. I have been using computers since 1996 and consider myself a "HACKER." I have my own cpu a Toshiba w/ WIN7 with a NEW HHD that I installed and partitioned.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Try resetting the PRAM and SMC.
QUOTE Thanks
B34R51

How is this done?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Resetting the PRAM: LINK

Resetting the SMC: LINK

Let us know if that works.
QUOTE Thanks
B34R51

First I tried to reset the "parameter RAM."I tried this 4X's two with the MagSafe plugged in and two with it unplugged. Next I tried resetting the "SMC" 4X's 2 with the MagSafe plugged in and 2 without. I even tried holding down the POWER button until the the cpu beeped twice. All of these options did not work. As the battery had been running hot and the CPU's back cover had been replaced from overheating. I am treating this as a "BATTERY" issue and we have an appointment this afternoon with the "genius squad" at the APPLE STORE. Thank you one and all.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I can log in as an Admin but cannot use the same Name and Pass to "Software Update". | Mac Mini G4 Upgrades .. How long with Leopard Last? »