New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

DNSChanger on old Mac. No luck getting rid of it so far...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jose Jimenez

Jose Jimenez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac

I've got an old Mac and I cant seem to get rid of DNSChanger. My ISP keeps telling me I have it and I have seen it in action via Safari where it sometimes re-directs to other pages like eBay.

The OS is 10.5.6 which Im pretty sure I can't upgrade due to the age of the machine and I dont have the original disks either.

So far I have tried DNSChanger Removal Tool, ClamXav and MacScan.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions on how I can get rid of this trojan?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Stick with ClamXAV and get rid of MacScan and DNSCharger Removal Tool is a promotor of MacScan. Do you empty the cache of Safari and depending on your computer and Safari version, deleted history and blocked pop-up windows opening?

You need the system discs to run Repair Disk and do a clean install, if necessary. They are the most important troubleshooting tool available.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

DNSChanger Removal Tool - CNET General Mac hardware discussions Forums
QUOTE Thanks
Jose Jimenez

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Stick with ClamXAV and get rid of MacScan and DNSCharger Removal Tool is a promotor of MacScan. Do you empty the cache of Safari and depending on your computer and Safari version, deleted history and blocked pop-up windows opening?

You need the system discs to run Repair Disk and do a clean install, if necessary. They are the most important troubleshooting tool available.
Thanks Harry.

Im not sure I fully understood what you were saying above. Do I empty the cache of Safari and delete history? I dont get any pop up windows when surfing as it redirects the window Im using. Is that what you mean?

The original disks cant be found unfortunately. What options do I have if I still can't remove this trojan?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

At one point when people were raving about the supposed OSX Virus (The DNS Changer trojan which is not a virus) I downloaded it and installed it on a Power Mac G4 500. I was able to remove it without a tool.

I will try and find what I did. It's been ages but it was in the terminal and one command and the computer was back to normal.

Here you go. REad it all, do the tests, and if it's there, read the section on how to remove. Follow the directions and it will be history.

http://www.macworld.com/article/6082...ojanhorse.html
QUOTE Thanks
Jose Jimenez

If you can find that fix, I'd appreciate it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I did. Re-Read the message I posted. Read that URL. Do the tests and if so do the fix. It's manual.
QUOTE Thanks
Jose Jimenez

Thanks for that. I checked and it didn't appear to be the same virus/trojan as indicated in the article. I followed the instructions anyway to see if has any effect. I will report back either way once I know if its managed to clear it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

There is only one DNS changer Trojan that was ever made for OSX that I know of. Sometimes the filename was different but it's the same one. Let us know what happens.
QUOTE Thanks
Jose Jimenez

I think this has done the trick so thanks for the help. Im pretty sure its gone as my kids use this Mac and they dont use it every day. When using it they haven't noticed any re-directs and I haven't received any warnings from my ISP either.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Very cool and thanks for reporting back as it might help another user down the road.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to Stacks in Snow Leopard Look Unhighlighted? | UNDO Intel Combo Update 10.4.11? »