New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

osx 10.3.3 Cannot update ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jack2011

jack2011 is on a distinguished road

Hi

Ive just got my first mac woohoo G4 powermac dual 450mhz

running 10.3.3 was clean install by the seller fine, heavy but cool
im running just under 1gb ram
i found the "update button " so i pushed it ( unsure which version i could go up to)
some updates went in but others failed
no permission for tmp
now ive read up on this and did chmod 777 in terminal for tmp
with no success tried alsorts no luck
can i ask if there is a solution i can try please
i am using a win keyboard
i understand command key is windows key and c is still c
at the moment i got half my hair still how long for hmm im really not sure

the message i get is the following

make sure you have permission to write to /tmp/501 ... etc

im intending to get latest lion if my "old banger" will handle it

Regards
jack2011
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

The highest version of OS X supported for that computer is 10.4.11 Tiger - which is no longer supported by Apple.
To purchase the required black retail Tiger DVD, it will cost you more than your computer is worth. That computer uses the PowerPC processor, so all software is basically incompatible with todays' Macs.
Are you sure you want to go there?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

As stated, Lion nor Snow Leopard will run on a machine that old. Did the seller include the install disc, or did he 'skin' you for it to resell it for a couple of bucks more?

You do need your own system install disc to format the hard drive and install the operating system. Look at eBay and such for a black full retail install DVD or Tiger OS X.4 and do NOT purchase any silver grey discs which will never install.

Your machine takes PC100 memory but make sure it is Apple compatible and low density, not high density PC memory. You can install up to 2GB.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jack2011

jack2011 is on a distinguished road

Thankyou for the information
i didnt get a disk im hapy to keep what i have on it for now and learn the osx more

and purchase a newer g5 much newer

regards
jack2011
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Want a tip Jack?

Avoid the G5's and save for an Intel model. The day of PowerPC is gone alas.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« finder wont search AFP share, via smb is ok | Confused about reinstalling iMac OS »