New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Have I restored eMac to factory settings?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

marcy222

marcy222 is on a distinguished road

Hello all

Apologies if I'm writing in the wrong forum here but would be grateful if somebody could put my mind at ease.

I am selling my old eMac (G4, OSX, 2004/5) and the guy is coming to pick it up tomorrow.

This evening I tried to restore factory settings (primarily as I'm very keen this guy should have no access to any of my old files) by re-booting with the original OSX install CD, erasing and zeroing my hard drive and then reinstalling OSX.

Now whenever I switch the computer on, either with or without the CD inside, it takes me straight to the Apple welcome page (with the funny music and 'Welcome' written in lots of different languages), and then prompts me to set up a new Apple ID etc.

I'd be absolutely delighted if this meant I'd wiped all my files and this guy could start from scratch, but how can I be sure the files aren't on there any more without setting up my details again?!

I'm not particularly technical so would appreciate any (kind) words to the wise!

Marcy
x
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

If by "zeroing the hard drive" you mean wiping it using Disk Utility, then all of your files have disappeared. I'm not sure how to confirm that something does not exist. That seems rather difficult, don't you think?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

They are gone unless he is a super spy with all sorts of software to enable reading, such as the FBI use. After wiping, jut give him the OS X disc and let him set it up as he wishes.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
marcy222

I do mean wiping it using disc utility. On my computer the option you click on is called 'zero all data' which is why I called it that. I was just surprised it only took half an hour to get rid of it all!

I don't THINK this guy is in the FBI (although you can never tell with those secret agent types!), so HOPEFULLY I am safe and he will go on to enjoy a machine with factory settings.

Thanks both for putting my mind at rest (recently had my iPhone nicked and the thief hacked into my credit card and my email off the back of it, which wasn't very nice!)

Marcy
x
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

The extensive wiping under Disk Utility is 'using seven passes' and it sure takes longer than half an hour, depending on the amount on the hard drive.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
marcy222

****! The guy has literally just picked it up now. It had a TON of stuff on it as I'd installed maximum RAM and it was was at capacity (mostly music and photos). I so so so hope it had cleared. It would just be my luck to get mucked around again and have something nasty happen
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcy222 View Post
I do mean wiping it using disc utility. On my computer the option you click on is called 'zero all data' which is why I called it that.
Ok, I don't use DU for that. I use TechTool Pro, which calls it wiping. I just knew DU could do it to.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2011 MacBook Pro won't boot | change directory »