New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Finder Column Title Issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Hey everyone,

So, I have this weird Finder issue that can be best described with a visual:

finder_issue.jpg

I have no idea how the column style was changed and I've scoured the internet trying to find out how to revert this back to the regular style.

I've tried removing the Finder plist in the hopes that this was a preference that I inadvertently set but that didn't work. I've searched through Finder's menus and settings only to come up empty handed.

Any ideas?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

I guess I will have to wait until I get home and can look on my Mac. . . ..

Probably I'm just not observant enough, but I don't see what is different.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a screenshot of a regular Finder window. Notice how the column heading last manipulated (sorted) is highlighted in blue?

regular_finder.jpg

I don't have that for my home folder (for whatever reason). Not only is this inconsistent (let's say I have a small case of OCD) but I can't sort any of the folders nor can I move any of the columns.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Now I see . . . I did say I wasn't particularly observant. But, I agree; this would bug me too.

Very Strange!

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

It's an interesting observation - also worth noting that it only does that when you're in your 'home' user folder. Seems to be a "feature" as mine does that if I go to that directory but nowhere else.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

It's also interesting to note that once it switches to that format - you lose the ability to change sort order by clicking on the column headings.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

It's not a huge problem but it has become annoying enough to warrant my attention. I'd love to know how to get it to show the "regular" style.

And, I'm an idiot. I just found the solution here. Apparently, if you set Finder to arrange files using a specific criteria, it does so and doesn't let you then manually change it using the column headers. That is the worst "feature" I've seen so far in OS X. What's interesting to note is that having OS X regenerate the plist file didn't solve this which leads me to believe that the arrangement setting is stored elsewhere.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Good find. Was a curiosity that I hadn't noticed before - but I never spend any time in that particular directory. Good piece of info to keep in the back pocket.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

It was a fluke really. I'm still puzzled as to why I felt it necessary to arrange my home folder "permanently" when I spend no more than 2 seconds in it at any given time.

Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Restoring Mac To Factory Settings | Unable to boot recovery hd partition. »