New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

2011 MacBook Pro won't boot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ChrissyAA3

ChrissyAA3 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

Got an issue with my new MacBook pro. It won't boot. I was having trouble with it in OS X so went on to boot camp and changed it to boot in Windows 7. Now when I try turn it on it makes that 'sound' on the gray screen then shuts down and tries again. Its just a big circle.
Any ideas?
Honestly, I'm so bored of it. It constantly crashes, doesn't work on various WiFi, doesn't 'just work'. I just want to get it in working order so I can put it on eBay and never have to deal with Mac again

Thanks again
Chris
QUOTE Thanks
wezman2k

wezman2k is an unknown at this point

reinstall the operating system and enjoy it.

preferably, an erase an reinstall. Mac OS X 10.7 Help: Erase and reinstall Mac OS X
QUOTE Thanks
ChrissyAA3

Hang on! So your telling me that a machine that cost just over a grand and a half needs to be reformatted after just over 4 months?

I'm sorry if I seem winey but surely I can't be the only one who sees this as unacceptable

Thanks
Chris
QUOTE Thanks
Eaglerock

Eaglerock is on a distinguished road

Hi
you can also change the hard drive and new os x
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your new MBP but since it's still covered by warranty, why don't you make an appointment with your local Apple store genius bar, take it on in and let them sort it out for you?
QUOTE Thanks
wezman2k

wezman2k is an unknown at this point

yeah, pretty much. it's not ideal but stuff happens. if you have your stuff backed up on time machine it is really easy to migrate it back over after the reformat. after that you should be good to go for a long time.

if not, there is more likely a hardware issue and in that case it's 2011 so it's still covered under warranty. that's what the warranty is for is for stuff like this.
QUOTE Thanks
ChrissyAA3

Yer, perhaps im being too hasty. I think I just get annoyed because I dont know how to use it properly. It like learning a while new language to me at the moment.
Anyway, I took it into my Appe store today (who might I add where very helpful!) and they ran some diagnostic test on it. This didn't flag anything up. They guy hadn't seen this specific problem before. He said normally they get further then mine when booting up, mine didn't even show the Apple logo. Anyway its been sent off for a repair in Exeter and will be back within 4 days (Very reasonable I thought!).
I wonder what the problem is with it, but when I find out ill post it on here and give you guys an update.
Thanks for the help!

Chris
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Please let us know what they did to repair it. I suspect though that they might change out the logic board (mother board).
QUOTE Thanks
ChrissyAA3

Il be sure to do this Chscag. Ill also be interested to know if whatever they do fixes my WiFi issues

Chris
QUOTE Thanks
ChrissyAA3

Hello, Chscag. I've had a call from my Apple Premium Reseller and the problem apparently wasn't the logic board. They said the problem was infact my HDD and that they where going to try and retrieve my data off it, although it was unlikely. Its not a massive issue as I do have a Time Machine backup of it (albeit about a month old (my fault)). They are replacing it as it is under warranty.
I do have one question though, long story short they said it was going to cost 240 to replace the HDD before realising it was under warranty. 250 seems quite steep. Just out of interest are the HDD's something that I could of replaced had it been out of warranty? Does my Macbook use a HDD that isnt a standard 2.5" laptop one? If they are the standard ones surely I can pick one up much, much cheaper

Your opinion is appreciated
Thanks
Chris
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

I'm glad to hear that it wasn't the logic board. That's good news! And yes, the hard drive in your MBP is a user replaceable item - that is if your machine were not in warranty. The two items which are user replaceable and easy to do on a MBP are the hard drive and memory.

Your MBP uses a standard 2.5" wide, 9.5 MM thick SATA hard drive. It can be either 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM. The 7200 RPM models are preferred for better speeds and access times.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot Camp Help | Have I restored eMac to factory settings? »