New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Two Finders!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hexen

Hexen is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13"(Early 2011) 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 Mac OS X 10.8.2

Just right now Finder became unresponsive. I would click on the dock icon and a new window wouldn't come up, but when I clicked on my Desktop, it said Finder next to the Apple logo. I looked up the problem online and I read that you can relaunch Finder using Force Quit. So I went to the Apple and clicked on Force Quit. When I opened Force Quit I saw that there were two instances of Finder opened...not two windows, but two entirely different processes named Finder. I shut down my computer and started it up again and now Finder works just fine. Out of curiosity I went back to Force Quit and now there's only one instance of Finder. How the heck did I get two open at the same time?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

Do you by chance have a small application called "FIWI" installed? It creates a second instance of Finder to use for file managing. Other than that, it may have been a glitch.
QUOTE Thanks
Hexen

No, the only new software that I added was Sophos...don't know if that has anything to do with it. Thanks for the quick reply
QUOTE Thanks
Hexen

Turns out the problem was Docker. I had just downloaded it from MacUpdate based on the good reviews, but just right now I tried to customize my dock and the same thing happens. If anyone else has this problem I hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

I seem to remember that it didn't work right for me either - but that was some time ago with an older version. Uninstall it and try SuperDocker instead as it works fine with both Snow Leopard and Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
Hexen

Ok, thanks. I'll check it out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« usb dongle on imac g3 slot loading | iMac super slow bootup »