Cannot delete window in Safari
    Hi Folks,

I'm new with having a Mac (iMac) and one of the main reasons I got it was so that I wouldn't get viruses. I'm a digital photo artist and like an idiot, got this thing right before a huge project. Needless to say, the learning curve has been sharp.

So, I clicked on a link today (thought it was okay) and a window popped up saying, Free Product Tester - Participate! Congratulations! You just qualified to receive the New iPad 2 for Free (sic). Read below for details. (Then there is an OK button.)

I'm sure that this isn't a virus but whatever it is has locked up Safari as tight as a drum!

I had this happen once before and called various long time Mac users including the techs at the store at which I bought it.

No one had a clue.

Eventually, I stumbled on clicking an email link (which it went to) and when I closed it, the window disappeared. (I'd tried restarting-- force quitting, etc.)

But this time-- it won't work. Now I have 5 windows open on Safari and none will close or do anything else.

Anyone have suggestions? I'd sure appreciate it-- I put today aside for research for a new project and I don't have time to fool around! ;-)

I'm writing this on my PC laptop.

Thanks so much in advance!

Okay, I think I figured it out.

Thanks anyway!

Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    If it was something simple, or complicated for that matter, it might help someone else if you post what fixed it.

Okay, sure.

It is a simple matter of getting rid of the cookies the thing had inserted.

You have to understand-- I have used a PC for decades and my husband is a PC tech. Therefore, I've never had to do any maintenance, etc., so never bothered to learn.

This bug apparently is quite common and certainly persistent!

I went to:

Safari; preferences; privacy; details of Remove All Website Data, and then deleted the offending one.

Thread Information