New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Cannot delete window in Safari

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Pheline

Pheline is on a distinguished road

Hi Folks,

I'm new with having a Mac (iMac) and one of the main reasons I got it was so that I wouldn't get viruses. I'm a digital photo artist and like an idiot, got this thing right before a huge project. Needless to say, the learning curve has been sharp.

So, I clicked on a link today (thought it was okay) and a window popped up saying, Free Product Tester - Participate! Congratulations! You just qualified to receive the New iPad 2 for Free (sic). Read below for details. (Then there is an OK button.)

I'm sure that this isn't a virus but whatever it is has locked up Safari as tight as a drum!

I had this happen once before and called various long time Mac users including the techs at the store at which I bought it.

No one had a clue.

Eventually, I stumbled on clicking an email link (which it went to) and when I closed it, the window disappeared. (I'd tried restarting-- force quitting, etc.)

But this time-- it won't work. Now I have 5 windows open on Safari and none will close or do anything else.

Anyone have suggestions? I'd sure appreciate it-- I put today aside for research for a new project and I don't have time to fool around! ;-)

I'm writing this on my PC laptop.

Thanks so much in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
Pheline

Okay, I think I figured it out.

Thanks anyway!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

If it was something simple, or complicated for that matter, it might help someone else if you post what fixed it.
QUOTE Thanks
Pheline

Okay, sure.

It is a simple matter of getting rid of the cookies the thing had inserted.

You have to understand-- I have used a PC for decades and my husband is a PC tech. Therefore, I've never had to do any maintenance, etc., so never bothered to learn.

This bug apparently is quite common and certainly persistent!

I went to:

Safari; preferences; privacy; details of Remove All Website Data, and then deleted the offending one.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with app store in os x 10.6.8 | Mac acting strangely. Can you help me? »