New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Updating to OS X Lion has deleted some files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Phillis

Phillis is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if i am posting this in the right place, but i really need help, i've recently updated my laptop to os x lion and in doing so it keeps deleting folders such as music folders, application folder and iPhoto folders, is there anyway possible in retrieving these items as there is a lot to replace. I'm not really a whiz at macs and i'm not entirely sure where to start looking. Please if anyone has any know how let me know.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

The update to Lion from (assuming Snow Leopard) does not remove or delete folders. Also you state "keeps deleting folders".

Perhaps you're being confused over where your folders are because Lion "hides" the user Library folder by default. Let's unhide it and see if that resolves your difficulty. Follow me below.....

1. Open your "Terminal application". Applications, Utilities, Terminal.app.

2. When the Terminal.app opens, copy and paste the following information after the $ sign and then press return.

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

3. Log off, and log on again.

Your user Library should now be visible again. Check to see if all your folders are back. Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
Phillis

Yes I have updated from snow leopard, the update went fine and I had all my folders, but recently it has been literally deleting them as in when I open iTunes none of my music is there, I open iPhoto and none of my photos are there, and the application folder is no where to be seen.

I followed your instructions and the user library is visible again but i can't find any of my music files, photos of the application folder.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

When you say " .... the application folder is nowhere to be seen .... " then how did you launch terminal.app ?

Can you restore iPhoto library and iTunes library from a recent backup ?

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

OK. Let's see if we can find the photos first...

Open Finder: Click on your User Home Folder. Now, click on "Pictures". You should see a file called "iPhoto Library" which if you double click, will display your photos. Is that file there? (you may get a message that iPhoto needs to update your library, if so, reply yes.)

For the music:

Again from your User Home Folder: Click on "Music". Now click on "iTunes". From there you can navigate to your iTunes library and any backup libraries.

Let us know.
QUOTE Thanks
Phillis

When i say the application folder, when i open finder and i click on my user home folder, it lists all my folders, usually there is a folder called applications, and it is no longer there.

I've opened finder, and checked both pictures and music folders but nothing there.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Can you please post a screenshot of the finder window, ... a picture speaks a thousand words.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Phillis

Hopefully the image is attached, but there should be a folder called Applications.
When i open the iTunes folder that's all that shows, and when i open iTunes library it just comes up like i'm new to it and again with iPhoto.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-12-08 at 20.02.21.png (482.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-12-08 at 20.09.16.png (407.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-12-08 at 20.10.16.png (408.0 KB, 10 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Your Applications folder is there in both screen shots, but you say there's nothing in it when you open it? Also, it does appear that you do not have an iPhoto library or iTunes.

Did you by chance rename your Home folder after upgrading to Lion?
QUOTE Thanks
Phillis

Not the one on the side, there was a blue folder like the rest called applications folder, it's where i put the applications i've brought/downloaded and since its been deleted some of the applications aren't responding.

No i didn't do anything, just loaded Lion, everything was still in it's place once it has finished then after switching of my laptop and restarting it again they weren't that's they only way i can describe it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Print mail attachments automatically | switching from OS 10.4.11 to Lion »