New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Wirelessly connect MacBook Pro to TV

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MLSsoccer

MLSsoccer is on a distinguished road

Hi. I am new to the mac world and was wondering if anyone could tell me how I can connect my MacBook Pro wirelessly to my Samsung HDTV so I can browse the web on the TV or just play video from my macbook to the TV with sound.

I already have a wireless router set up in my home and that's how I connect to the internet. Can I connect an ethernet cable from the router to the TV and then wirelessly connect the MacBook Pro to the TV? if so can you please elaborate on those steps?

If my TV has a wireless dongle/transmitter, can I connect my MacBook directly to the TV without going through the router?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Nola26

Nola26 is on a distinguished road

Don't think that is possible how you are suggesting. However you can use the mini display port to make your tv the computers monitor and use a wireless mouse and keyboard to control the MBP. The Apple keyboard and mouse are bluetooth and should work from several feet away. Other than that Apple would have to make the MBP compatible with airplay mirroring via Apple TV like the iPad.

I'm new to Mac also so someone correct me if I'm wrong as this would be pretty cool.
QUOTE Thanks
MLSsoccer

I find it amazing that I can do this on a PC but not a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Since I haven't bothered to look into this.. how do you do it with your PC? What application is used?

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I would also be interested in how this is done without third party hardware that usually runs over a hundred dollars.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxx View Post
I would also be interested in how this is done without third party hardware that usually runs over a hundred dollars.
Or software built into the TV, which usually has specific support requirements.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
MLSsoccer

I searched for it on youtube for wirelessly connecting laptop to TV and i got several videos. But they are all regarding PC laptops.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Every solution I've seen involved either a TV that had built in capability (requires specific operating system, sometimes specific hardware), or 3rd party hardware.

3rd party hardware:
http://www.abitronixdirect.com/audio...io-windows-mac

List of specfic HW systems (ie fully support Intels Wireless Display function)

http://www.netgear.com/landing/ptv_s...ptops_usa.aspx

mike
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Maybe the rumor of Apple being able to mirror the Mac's in a future Apple TV or software update to the current one will come true by next year.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Lion 10.7.2 Mac Mail Crashes | I can't get out of Mac OSX Lion Recovery »