New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Help with old mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jwlk

jwlk is on a distinguished road

The title is slightly misleading.. but i'll do my best to describe inside.

First off, I know this is probably not the right place to put this, but I honestly had no idea where else it could go.. So i'm hoping a mod could move it for me if this is the wrong area.

Anyway, my problem. I just got a new macbook pro, (what ever happened to normal MacBooks?) after having my macbook for the past 5 years. Well, my mom has always wanted a mac, so she asked if she could have mine.

There's a problem, however. She doesn't want all the crap that i've accumulated though out the 5 years I've had it.. so i told her i'd wipe it all. The problem is though, I used to keep her iTunes music on that computer, and she wants to keep the music. My question is, is there anyway to delete absolutely everything else, but somehow keep the iTunes? or restore it to the way it is now?

I've made a copy of the old computer, and put it into the new one (though it made a separate account for it... but thats a question for another thread) So i'm not worried about losing anything. I just want to delete everything but iTunes music. Is this possible?

Sorry for the long winded explanation and my ramblings. Thanks in advance for the help !
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

Go to the "your_username" folder. Delete everything inside any folders in there -- except from Music.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Back up the music to another drive/computer; boot the old computer from an install disc and wipe the drive; then reinstall OS X from scratch. Once she has set up her profile, copy the music back over.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Outlook 2011 won't open | latest OS for mac mini PPC »