New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Best way to get an OS X 10.4 installation disk?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

HugoCole

HugoCole is on a distinguished road

Hi

I for the life of me can't find the install disks for my iMac 2 GHz Power PC G5. I've looked on Amazon - $70. eBay - even more (I'm in Canada). Called Mac - they don't have them any more. Called MacMall - not helpful.

Here's the reason why I'm looking for it. I am trying to clone my iMac and downloaded SuperDuper! to do so. Unfortunately, it fails because of an "unfindable" file in Adobe Photoshop. Others have had the same problem, (e.g.Trouble deleting a "nonexistent" file [Archive] - macosx.com and [SOLVED] Unable to delete a file in OS X [Archive] - Ubuntu Forums). It seems that various attempts to fix don't work, and my main hope is that the suggestion that involves using Disk Utility First Aid will help. However, this requires a startup disk, which I can't find.

I don't even know if it will work once I get the startup disk, so I'm not keen to fork out a bunch of dough for a new install disk without being sure it'll work.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, search didn't show me anything similar. Any suggestions?

K
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

What about ebay.ca or kijiji?
QUOTE Thanks
HugoCole

Yeah, I should have mentioned ebay.ca was even worse. Kijiji doesn't even turn up any search results. Maybe I'll try Facebook.
QUOTE Thanks
gsahli

gsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the roughgsahli is a jewel in the rough

10.4 retail | eBay

I don't know of anywhere cheaper than eBay.
Maybe if you explain a bit more of what you're doing someone can make a suggestion. Are you just trying to repair the hard drive? If so, try Safe Boot:
Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?
QUOTE Thanks
MacLicious

MacLicious will become famous soon enough

I don't know where you are in Canada, but here is a link from Craigslist that might help...
 Apple Mac OS Discs plus Office 2011, iLife & iWork
QUOTE Thanks
HugoCole

Ah, Craigslist! I always forget about that place. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
HugoCole

Oops, spoke too soon... $75.
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

$75-100 is the going rate, you will be very very lucky to find it cheaper.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
HugoCole

So I guess my question is, should I buy a retail version of OS X 10.4 to use disk utility to try to expunge that ****ed unfindable file? Will this work?
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

This was an interesting read (followed the links you posted). Don't really have a solution other than maybe trying Carbon Copy Cloner.
I recently used it to make a bootable backup (Intel Mac) and what I remember that may help is being able to exclude folders and files from the backup. It may be possible to exclude your problem file and at least get a workable back up.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
HugoCole

Yeah, I had considered that. I'll go ahead and do it now that you suggest it. ****ed frustrating that Super Duper doesn't have that feature. Thanks for your reply!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoCole View Post
Yeah, I had considered that. I'll go ahead and do it now that you suggest it. ****ed frustrating that Super Duper doesn't have that feature. Thanks for your reply!
You are welcome. Hope it works out for you.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help with time machine | download problems need help »