Best way to get an OS X 10.4 installation disk?
    Hi

I for the life of me can't find the install disks for my iMac 2 GHz Power PC G5. I've looked on Amazon - $70. eBay - even more (I'm in Canada). Called Mac - they don't have them any more. Called MacMall - not helpful.

Here's the reason why I'm looking for it. I am trying to clone my iMac and downloaded SuperDuper! to do so. Unfortunately, it fails because of an "unfindable" file in Adobe Photoshop. Others have had the same problem, (e.g.Trouble deleting a "nonexistent" file [Archive] - macosx.com and [SOLVED] Unable to delete a file in OS X [Archive] - Ubuntu Forums). It seems that various attempts to fix don't work, and my main hope is that the suggestion that involves using Disk Utility First Aid will help. However, this requires a startup disk, which I can't find.

I don't even know if it will work once I get the startup disk, so I'm not keen to fork out a bunch of dough for a new install disk without being sure it'll work.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, search didn't show me anything similar. Any suggestions?

K

What about ebay.ca or kijiji?

Yeah, I should have mentioned ebay.ca was even worse. Kijiji doesn't even turn up any search results. Maybe I'll try Facebook.

10.4 retail | eBay

I don't know of anywhere cheaper than eBay.
    Maybe if you explain a bit more of what you're doing someone can make a suggestion. Are you just trying to repair the hard drive? If so, try Safe Boot:
    Mac OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode?

I don't know where you are in Canada, but here is a link from Craigslist that might help...
     Apple Mac OS Discs plus Office 2011, iLife & iWork

Ah, Craigslist! I always forget about that place. Thanks!

Oops, spoke too soon... $75.

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    $75-100 is the going rate, you will be very very lucky to find it cheaper.
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

So I guess my question is, should I buy a retail version of OS X 10.4 to use disk utility to try to expunge that ****ed unfindable file? Will this work?

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    This was an interesting read (followed the links you posted). Don't really have a solution other than maybe trying Carbon Copy Cloner.
    I recently used it to make a bootable backup (Intel Mac) and what I remember that may help is being able to exclude folders and files from the backup. It may be possible to exclude your problem file and at least get a workable back up.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Yeah, I had considered that. I'll go ahead and do it now that you suggest it. ****ed frustrating that Super Duper doesn't have that feature. Thanks for your reply!

Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by HugoCole View Post
    Yeah, I had considered that. I'll go ahead and do it now that you suggest it. ****ed frustrating that Super Duper doesn't have that feature. Thanks for your reply!
    You are welcome. Hope it works out for you.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Thread Information