New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

 
Start a Discussion
 

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

latest OS for mac mini PPC


Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

 
Thread Tools
cozzoc

 
Member Since: Dec 05, 2011
Posts: 4
cozzoc is on a distinguished road

cozzoc is offline
Greeting all Mac friends,

I was given a mac mini PPC (EMC 2026) - No OS installed.

I installed OS 10.3.9 but every time I download any program, adobe flash, firefox using safari it crashes, on the occasion it downloaded before it crashed, the DMG file says its corrupt. I even downloaded from my other mac and USB'ed the DMG file onto the mac mini and t still says the file is corrupt.

I would like to use it for video as I travel a lot and would like to "see" my kids when I am away

I also have an iSight camera.

Can someone tell me which OS I can install please?

Thanks
Coz
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,446
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzoc View Post
Greeting all Mac friends,

I was given a mac mini PPC (EMC 2026) - No OS installed.

I installed OS 10.3.9 but every time I download any program, adobe flash, firefox using safari it crashes, on the occasion it downloaded before it crashed, the DMG file says its corrupt. I even downloaded from my other mac and USB'ed the DMG file onto the mac mini and t still says the file is corrupt.

I would like to use it for video as I travel a lot and would like to "see" my kids when I am away

I also have an iSight camera.

Can someone tell me which OS I can install please?

Thanks
Coz
The max OS for any of the PPC Mac Minis is Leopard, OS X 10.5.8. Make sure you get the (Black) retail OS disks.

EDIT: Have you tried repairing permissions and using Disk Utility to check out your HD? Not sure from the symptoms that you aren't having some HD problems.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
cozzoc

 
Member Since: Dec 05, 2011
Posts: 4
cozzoc is on a distinguished road

cozzoc is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
The max OS for any of the PPC Mac Minis is Leopard, OS X 10.5.8. Make sure you get the (Black) retail OS disks.

EDIT: Have you tried repairing permissions and using Disk Utility to check out your HD? Not sure from the symptoms that you aren't having some HD problems.
Hey Razormac,

Thanks for your answer, I checked the HDD and everything is OK, I downloaded the MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.8.dmg file from apple.com (About the Mac OS X v10.5.8 Update) and tried running it on the mac mini and I get the message "The file cannot be opened, the bill of materials for this package was not found"

Have I broken it

Thanks
Coz
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,446
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzoc View Post
Hey Razormac,

Thanks for your answer, I checked the HDD and everything is OK, I downloaded the MacOSXUpdCombo10.5.8.dmg file from apple.com (About the Mac OS X v10.5.8 Update) and tried running it on the mac mini and I get the message "The file cannot be opened, the bill of materials for this package was not found"

Have I broken it

Thanks
Coz
Unfortunately you can not update 10.3 to 10.5. You will have to do a version upgrade, which requires getting hold of a retail set of the OS disks. You might want to check on Tiger (OS 10.4) disks as well, as they may be cheaper--I don't keep up with prices of old OS disks, so not certain.

What I wouldn't do is spend a lot of money updating/upgrading your mini. I saw some Intel Mac Minis available on eBay for $375 Buy Now, which leads me to suspect you could pick one up in the $300-$400 range used.

Even the earliest Intel Minis is capable of running Snow Leopard OS X 10.6 (available from Apple On-line Store for $29).

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
cozzoc

 
Member Since: Dec 05, 2011
Posts: 4
cozzoc is on a distinguished road

cozzoc is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
Unfortunately you can not update 10.3 to 10.5. You will have to do a version upgrade, which requires getting hold of a retail set of the OS disks. You might want to check on Tiger (OS 10.4) disks as well, as they may be cheaper--I don't keep up with prices of old OS disks, so not certain.

What I wouldn't do is spend a lot of money updating/upgrading your mini. I saw some Intel Mac Minis available on eBay for $375 Buy Now, which leads me to suspect you could pick one up in the $300-$400 range used.

Even the earliest Intel Minis is capable of running Snow Leopard OS X 10.6 (available from Apple On-line Store for $29).
Hey Razormac,

I will try this as I think I have a 10.4 disk somewhere, if nothing happens I will buy a mac mini. Thanks for your support.

Coz
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,446
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzoc View Post
Hey Razormac,

I will try this as I think I have a 10.4 disk somewhere, if nothing happens I will buy a mac mini. Thanks for your support.

Coz
You are welcome.
On that Tiger disk, if it is not the Black retail disk it will not install on your Mini unless it is from the exact same model machine. The gray and silver disks are machine specific.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks
cozzoc

 
Member Since: Dec 05, 2011
Posts: 4
cozzoc is on a distinguished road

cozzoc is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
You are welcome.
On that Tiger disk, if it is not the Black retail disk it will not install on your Mini unless it is from the exact same model machine. The gray and silver disks are machine specific.
Hey Razormac,

I Installed 10.4 and it works, now and I will upgrade to 10.5 as you said, the only issue is that Flash player 10.1 (which is for PPC machines) runs very slow, is this because of the processor? I have 1GB of memory but a 40GB HDD?

Thanks for your assistance thus far.

Coz
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

 
RavingMac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 07, 2008
Location: In Denial
Posts: 7,446
RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

RavingMac is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzoc View Post
Hey Razormac,

I Installed 10.4 and it works, now and I will upgrade to 10.5 as you said, the only issue is that Flash player 10.1 (which is for PPC machines) runs very slow, is this because of the processor? I have 1GB of memory but a 40GB HDD?

Thanks for your assistance thus far.

Coz
That may be the case. Have to admit my experience using non-Intel Macs is very limited. My first Mac purchase was a 2006 MacBook.

One thing that may be slowing you down with only a 40Gb HDD is free space. If you have less than 15% free space (in your case 6Gb) things can start to bog down.

If I were given just one wish it would be . . . that I could have three more wishes!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe


« Help with old mac | Word Processing programn for OS X Lion »
Thread Tools

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Headless Mini questions forum member Apple Desktops 0 01-27-2011 10:25 PM
Mac Mini as HTPC - Feedback or thoughts? Actaeon Apple Desktops 2 06-16-2010 09:54 AM
My turtle Mini Cor80 Switcher Hangout 16 03-18-2010 08:10 PM
DIY: Trick out your Intel Mini kaidomac Apple Desktops 53 02-17-2007 02:40 AM
Questions about Mac Mini and Imac-how much power? markw10 Apple Desktops 3 08-22-2006 06:12 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
X

Welcome to Mac-Forums.com

Create your username to jump into the discussion!

New members like you have made this community the ultimate source for your Mac since 2003!


(4 digit year)

Already a member?