New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Local Hostname.local

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jeff111

Jeff111 is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

My computer has a local hostame of BlahBlah.local and I can alter this name, if desired, in the Sharing window of System Preferences. But I'm curious about where this name is actually stored or located. The \h or \H flags know where to get it for use in modifying PS1 but I don't see it listed in my .profile or in my default_env_vars file. Thanks in advance for any enlightenment
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Change you system name under System Preferences > Sharing > Local Hostname

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff111

Thanks Dysfunction; I know about changing the name within the GUI but I'm curious to know which particular Unix file that name is stored in. Some people have suggested it's in /etc/smb.conf but I checked there and didn't see it. Obviously, it's no big deal; I'm just curious about the file location of that variable.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Well, here's the deal. You'd actually need to use scutil to change the name. Like many Unix's there's a db that actually contains many of the OS's parameters. So, to do so at a CLI (successfully) you'd need to do the following:

scutil –set HostName new_hostname

man scutil <-- for more information

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff111

Thanks Dysfunction! I wondered if it was perhaps stored in such a fashion.I'd never heard of the scutil command before. One of the really amazing characteristics of UNIX is that, unlike most operating systems, so many of the operating parameter files are actually written as text; that's why I was looking for that parameter as an entry in a text file somewhere. Thanks again
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac OS X Snow Leopard | Outlook 2011 won't open »