Apple MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Iphone 4, Ipad 16gb wifi, Ipod touch
    General upgrade questions.
    Hi all. I have some questions which I hope someone might be able to help me with. I have an Apple MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (15-inch DDR3) Mid-2009, which is running leopard. I am about to embark on an upgrade process for my machine. I have ordered a new hard drive which I have confirmed to be compatible. I am also going to double the RAM from 4gb to 8gb.
    I would like to instal Lion on the new drive and I know that I will first need to upgrade to Snow leopard. My first question is... My parents recently upgraded their Imac to snow leopard then Lion. Is there any chance I can use their snow leopard disk and pay for my new version, or will I have to go and get the disk from the apple store? Im not looking to get this for free. Next question..
    Am i better to upgrade the machines software now, and then move to the new hard drive via time machine or would I be better to get the new drive working with things as is they are via time machine then upgrade?

If anyone has any other words of wisdom I will be delighted to have the benefit of them.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Modesto, Ca.
    iMac late 2007 10.11.b4, iMac 2008 10.10.5, Macbook2007 10.7.5, Mac Mini 10.7.5, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!
    Your upgrades look good. Your machine will take 8GB DDR3. Where are you getting the RAM? OWC is very good as they guarantee their RAM to work in the Mac they state it will run on and will replace it for free if it does not work.

On Snow Leopard, I would get your own copy for $29. That way you have it just in case. If your parents GIVE/Sell you their Snow Leopard DVD, then it would be legal to use it.

Also you can make a bootable Lion DVD or Flash drive. If you want to do that, let us know and I can post some instructions.

Apple MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Iphone 4, Ipad 16gb wifi, Ipod touch
    Hi Dennis
    Thanks for the fast reply. I was going to order the RAM from crucial uk as they dispatch from uk and i thought it may come faster. I will look and see if OCW do the same and I will use them if they do. I would very much like to know how to make the bootable DVD please. Can I just confirm.. my parents snow leopard disk, it will be legal and it will work to upgrade me? I assume im right in saying there is no way to bypass snow leopard?
    Thanks again

Thread Information