New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

General upgrade questions.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

goodkrack

goodkrack is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Apple MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Iphone 4, Ipad 16gb wifi, Ipod touch

Hi all. I have some questions which I hope someone might be able to help me with. I have an Apple MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (15-inch DDR3) Mid-2009, which is running leopard. I am about to embark on an upgrade process for my machine. I have ordered a new hard drive which I have confirmed to be compatible. I am also going to double the RAM from 4gb to 8gb.
I would like to instal Lion on the new drive and I know that I will first need to upgrade to Snow leopard. My first question is... My parents recently upgraded their Imac to snow leopard then Lion. Is there any chance I can use their snow leopard disk and pay for my new version, or will I have to go and get the disk from the apple store? Im not looking to get this for free. Next question..
Am i better to upgrade the machines software now, and then move to the new hard drive via time machine or would I be better to get the new drive working with things as is they are via time machine then upgrade?

If anyone has any other words of wisdom I will be delighted to have the benefit of them.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Ronnie
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Your upgrades look good. Your machine will take 8GB DDR3. Where are you getting the RAM? OWC is very good as they guarantee their RAM to work in the Mac they state it will run on and will replace it for free if it does not work.

On Snow Leopard, I would get your own copy for $29. That way you have it just in case. If your parents GIVE/Sell you their Snow Leopard DVD, then it would be legal to use it.

Also you can make a bootable Lion DVD or Flash drive. If you want to do that, let us know and I can post some instructions.
QUOTE Thanks
goodkrack

goodkrack is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Apple MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Iphone 4, Ipad 16gb wifi, Ipod touch

Hi Dennis
Thanks for the fast reply. I was going to order the RAM from crucial uk as they dispatch from uk and i thought it may come faster. I will look and see if OCW do the same and I will use them if they do. I would very much like to know how to make the bootable DVD please. Can I just confirm.. my parents snow leopard disk, it will be legal and it will work to upgrade me? I assume im right in saying there is no way to bypass snow leopard?
Thanks again
Ronnie
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sound to headphones AND computer at the same time | Parallels causing slow internet? »