New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Why my name in Finder bar is touching the top?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mauryaratan

mauryaratan is on a distinguished road

As shown in image above, my name is touching the top whether it should be having the same space from top and bottom.

I tried posting the same question on Apple Support but no one replied, do someone have a solution for the same?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Open up System Preferences and go to Users & Groups. Select Login Options, click the lock to authorize if need be, then try turning off the option to show the faster user switching menu, then on. If that doesn't work, try the other choices (short name and icon) to see what happens.

If that doesn't work, we'll have to try deleting a preference file and let OS X rebuild it. I'm not sure offhand which one yet, so try the above first.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
mauryaratan

I followed the steps as you said, for icon its ok but when I select full name or short name, it goes wrong again.

Let's try deleting the preference file, you are saying. Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
If that doesn't work, we'll have to try deleting a preference file and let OS X rebuild it. I'm not sure offhand which one yet, so try the above first.
I think that would be com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

the User Interface contains menu bar settings
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauryaratan View Post
I followed the steps as you said, for icon its ok but when I select full name or short name, it goes wrong again.

Let's try deleting the preference file, you are saying. Thanks in advance!
Alrighty. Well it's probably the same plist as this one just used in another tip involving the menubar (hat tip to toMACsh). Go to:

yourhomefolder/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

Drag it to your Desktop. Then log out and back in. If that fixes it, delete the original you put on the Desktop. If not, feel free to move it back and we'll try a different one.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
mauryaratan

@ lifeisabeach,
Sorry I checked for it again and again but couldn't find the same, may be that's this problem is with me.

I tried searching for it multiple times but I can't find it anywhere, what's next?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all

What OS do you have? In the path above "yourhomefolder" is whatever you named it. Usually, that folder's icon is a little white house. There are two other Library folders. You have to be in the right one. In Lion, the folder is hidden. Since I don't have Lion, I can't remember how to find it, though I've seen that trick explained before.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Just to make it simple, download EasyFind and do a search of your home folder (select from the drop down menu on the right) for the file com.apple.systemuiserver.plist. You can delete it from there.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
mauryaratan

@ lifeisabeach, it was a nice software, the folder was hidden, but deleting that file doesn't fixes anything, after deleting the file and logging out again, I tried turned on Fast user switching menu and it shows as earlier. That's not working at all.

Also I lost of my icons in finder bar, but restoring the deleted file in preference brings all icons back.

@toMACsh, yes you were right, the folder was hidden, EasyFind was quick enough to find it, but unfortunately deleting that file couldn't solve the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

Quote:
@toMACsh, yes you were right, the folder was hidden, EasyFind was quick enough to find it, but unfortunately deleting that file couldn't solve the problem.
No, if that file being corrupt is the problem, just deleting it would not solve it. You also have to restart the computer for the OS to make a new default plist file.
QUOTE Thanks
mauryaratan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
No, if that file being corrupt is the problem, just deleting it would not solve it. You also have to restart the computer for the OS to make a new default plist file.
I used to logout and then log in again.

I just tried it by restating that also doesn't works.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

As long as you have the "Show fast user switching menu" item checked off in System Preferences, Users & Groups, and the full name item is selected, that will always appear in the top menu. Deleting the plist will not remove it.

Instead of selecting show "full name", use the drop down menu and change it to "icon" instead.

Or, just turn off "Show fast user switching" altogether. Note that you have to click on the small lock at the bottom and put in your admin password to make changes.
QUOTE Thanks
mauryaratan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
As long as you have the "Show fast user switching menu" item checked off in System Preferences, Users & Groups, and the full name item is selected, that will always appear in the top menu. Deleting the plist will not remove it.

Instead of selecting show "full name", use the drop down menu and change it to "icon" instead.

Or, just turn off "Show fast user switching" altogether. Note that you have to click on the small lock at the bottom and put in your admin password to make changes.
Thanks for the reply, icon is showing correctly since the start but the problem is with short name and full name. I want them to show correctly.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Quote:
@ lifeisabeach, it was a nice software, the folder was hidden, but deleting that file doesn't fixes anything, after deleting the file and logging out again, I tried turned on Fast user switching menu and it shows as earlier. That's not working at all.

Also I lost of my icons in finder bar, but restoring the deleted file in preference brings all icons back.
Yes, that file does store a lot of preferences, so deleting would have affected more than simply the user switching menu. But letting OS X re-create a default one obviously didn't fix it, so that particular file isn't the right one.

I have an idea. I'm wondering if you are using the wrong font, or if the font is corrupt. First download and run TinkerTool. If your fonts don't match my screenshot, reset them to the defaults and reboot.

Fonts.jpg

If they do match, then open Font Book, select the Lucida Grande font, then go to the menu and select File Validate Font.

------
------
QUOTE Thanks
mauryaratan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
Yes, that file does store a lot of preferences, so deleting would have affected more than simply the user switching menu. But letting OS X re-create a default one obviously didn't fix it, so that particular file isn't the right one.

I have an idea. I'm wondering if you are using the wrong font, or if the font is corrupt. First download and run TinkerTool. If your fonts don't match my screenshot, reset them to the defaults and reboot.

Attachment 16378

If they do match, then open Font Book, select the Lucida Grande font, then go to the menu and select File Validate Font.
That's it. Results were matching, but there were multiple copies installed of Lucida Grande, so I clicked on Resolve automatically and then logged out and logged in again. And now it shows fine.

Thank you so much for helping me out so faster, you guys are great.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2011-12-04 at 10.35.49 PM.png (9.4 KB, 23 views)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Vehicle wrap or car wrap programs for mac | Need help with possible kernel stack error? »