New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Is it possible to download Mac os x 10.4 on a PC, onto a disk?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MooseHaven

MooseHaven is on a distinguished road

Hello, I recently posted a question on another forum about my Ibook G4 that is no longer working due to downloading Ubuntu. They said I need to reinstall Mac os x 10.4 on it for it to work. (Right now it won't go past the boot screen because Ubuntu wiped out the Mac os and Ubuntu won't work either.)
We called a computer repair store to see if they sold any Mac OS X install disks and the guy said you could download it for free online instead of buying the disk.

So my question is,
is it possible to download 10.4 for free online? If so, is it possible to download it on a PC, transfer it to a disk or flash drive, and then download that disk to my Ibook?

Thank you,
-Jessi
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

You can not legally download any version of OSX online except for Lion and that is from a machine running Snow Leopard on the Apple App Store. Any other downloading of OSX is totally illegal.

What are the specs of the ibook? If it's a 867Mhz G4 or higher, you can purchase 10.5 Leopard and install that, but 10.5 is going to cost a lot. You would be better off getting a used Full Retail version of 10.4 Tiger from Ebay. BE SURE it's a Full Retail Black DVD.
QUOTE Thanks
MooseHaven

MooseHaven is on a distinguished road

Yeah, that's what I thought. I only saw 10.5 and up online for download. I'll just go ahead and get the one off of ebay. Thank you for your reply!
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseHaven View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought. I only saw 10.5 and up online for download. I'll just go ahead and get the one off of ebay. Thank you for your reply!
Just to repeat, because we get a LOT of confusion on this, don't waste your money on the gray or silver disks. If it isn't a black OS disk it isn't the Tiger retail set and probably won't install on your system.

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Slow Time Machine Backup FW800 :( | cannot get pdf open »