New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lion on new Mac vs performance on old Mac with SL

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

NightCrawler

NightCrawler is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen

Hi'yall!

I've had my lovely new MBP for a couple of months now with Lion
I upgraded from my 2007 MacBook with SL.

And...
I'm noticing a great performance difference - in the MacBooks favour
What is up with that?

Lemme list the spec difference quickly:
MacBook Pro VS my ancient MacBook
2,2 ghz i7 vs 2,16 C2D
4 GB RAM vs 3 GB RAM
1 GB graphics vs almost non-existing graphics
750 GB HDD vs 120 GB HDD

Im noticing that the MacBook boots and shuts down a lot faster, and for instance opening PDF's and images in preview is almost instant - same with system apps. But on the MBP - opening things in preview - takes forever, and we're talking 3-6 seconds (both being freshly booted - ie nothing in RAM )

How can this be?
When i got the MBP i restored it from the MacBooks time machine - and when I thought that that was a bad thing, I formatted the MBP and transferred everything manually...

Can someone please enlighten me on this?
Its driving me insane that i spent over 18000 DKK on this lovely and sexy machine

Quote:
- It's like - he was got - they'd just like. It was like so hush hush. They were so... quiet about it. And then the next thing you know...
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

Andres87 will become famous soon enough

the truth is that Lion is slooooooow compared to Snow Leopard, I have a 2011 MBP which had SL installed when I got it and it was always fast then I upgraded to Lion, noticed it was very slow so I did a fresh install of Lion but omg its still so slow
QUOTE Thanks
NightCrawler

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen

Oh lord - so its not just me

Sad fact: I cant live without a lot of the new Lion function - Like fullscreen preview when im reading ebooks for school on my MBP - I have ADHD and it helps me a lot to stay focused and not goofing around on facebook

But I still dabble with the idea of installing SL on it since I still have the install DVD for it

Quote:
- It's like - he was got - they'd just like. It was like so hush hush. They were so... quiet about it. And then the next thing you know...
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

or you could get and ssd but they're so expensive :s
QUOTE Thanks
NightCrawler

Indeed - I so don't have the money for and SSD right now, I just started studying again and just paid for school trip to NYC and saving for a DSLR O_O

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

that means we're both screwed lol oh well.
QUOTE Thanks
NightCrawler

meh - ill just install Vista on it - It seems faster these days

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks
Andres87

LOL omg yeah GREAT idea.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Lion is faster. What you need to do is a clean install s no doubt you simply upgraded. You can burn Lion to a USB thumb drive after going into the App Store, hold down Option whilst clicking purchases, click on Lion and download another copy f.o.c. and follow instructions in this link.

Many reports of slow Lion following upgrade on MacBooks and MacBookPros.

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-...b-flash-drive/

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
NightCrawler

Hi Harry!

Well - I actually tried a clean install - no difference what so ever

Quote:
QUOTE Thanks
LBM

LBM is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to install the f.o.c copy on another MAC ? Is it legal ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Legit VMWARE OSX on Win? | Total HD Backup Question »