Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2011
    Posts
    5
    Mac OSX installer not found
    Hello everyone

    For some reason my installer app is missing. I'm not sure if I accidentally deleted it. I am running Mac OSX 10.6.8 and I do have the CD's my Macbook came with. Can anyone help me with this problem. I'm sure I can download the app straight from the CD but I'm having some trouble figuring it out.

    Thanks so much

  2. #2

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,812
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by filsim View Post
    Hello everyone

    For some reason my installer app is missing. I'm not sure if I accidentally deleted it. I am running Mac OSX 10.6.8 and I do have the CD's my Macbook came with. Can anyone help me with this problem. I'm sure I can download the app straight from the CD but I'm having some trouble figuring it out.

    Thanks so much
    What OS version are we talking about...the 10.6.8 you mentioned...or a different version?

    If 10.6.8 or before...most folks don't "download" the app. from the DVD...they just use the DVD when they need to.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,812
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Moved thread to more appropriate forum.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2011
    Posts
    5
    Hi Nick

    Its version 10.6.8. Not sure if we are on the same page. I am unable to install any programs on my macbook because the "installer" app is missing. Not sure if I can recoup it from the Mac OSX install DVD? If so how would I go about doing that?

  5. #5

    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    35,812
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by filsim View Post
    Hi Nick

    Its version 10.6.8. Not sure if we are on the same page. I am unable to install any programs on my macbook because the "installer" app is missing. Not sure if I can recoup it from the Mac OSX install DVD? If so how would I go about doing that?
    Yes...I don't think that we are on the same page!

    What applications/programs are you trying to install? If these are "non-Apple" applications...then the Mac OS DVD has nothing to do with their installation.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2011
    Posts
    5
    It is an Apple application. Installer is an application included in Mac OS X (and in its progenitors OPENSTEP and NeXTSTEP) which extracts and installs files out of .pkg packages. It was created by NeXT, and is now maintained by Apple Inc. Its purpose is to help software developers create uniform software installers. This application is, for some odd reason, missing and I can no longer install applications.

  7. #7

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,931
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by filsim View Post
    It is an Apple application. Installer is an application included in Mac OS X (and in its progenitors OPENSTEP and NeXTSTEP) which extracts and installs files out of .pkg packages. It was created by NeXT, and is now maintained by Apple Inc. Its purpose is to help software developers create uniform software installers. This application is, for some odd reason, missing and I can no longer install applications.
    Interesting bit of info/history.

    Can't you just do an OS reinstall without reformatting/erasing?
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Jan 04, 2011
    Posts
    5
    Is that the best way to go about resolving this issue? And if so how would I go about doing that?

  9. #9

    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,931
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by filsim View Post
    Is that the best way to go about resolving this issue? And if so how would I go about doing that?
    Don't know if it is the best but it should reinstall any missing parts of the OS. As to how, boot from your OS disk and choose Install without Erase.

    I would a back up first just in case (always a good idea).
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-20-2013, 08:23 PM
  2. Installer disc could not be found - Install Problem
    By runtimpa in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-20-2013, 09:37 PM
  3. Boot Camp error message "The installer disc could not be found"
    By mitchalot in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-21-2012, 09:53 PM
  4. The Installer Disc Could Not Be Found
    By Zaeyde in forum Running Windows (or anything else) on your Mac
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 07:39 PM
  5. Mac OSX installer not found
    By filsim in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-02-2011, 04:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •