New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Trash + error 36. HELP!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

robgambla

robgambla is on a distinguished road

Hi!

Yes, I've tried to read related articles about this, but my case seems to be slightly different.

I was re-coding a video file. Process got corrupted somehow. I was importing from a simple USB external and saving the new files back to it as well.

So i got 2 files, which were unfinished and wouldn't play so I deleted them with the whole folder. And now when I try to empty trash, it shows this message:

--------------------------------------------------
The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36)
--------------------------------------------------

I tried :
1.secure empty..
2.this command: sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/

they were saying something about formatting the source drive. Is that the only way really?

thanks, hope u can help me
QUOTE Thanks
MyMac8MyPC

MyMac8MyPC is on a distinguished road

If your asking how can you empty your trash, then there are programs on the net that will do this for you. Simply search for "can't empty trash mac" and it should show you a list. Just make sure it works with your version of OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
robgambla

yea.. I just tried a prog. called "trash it!" .... it didn't do anything.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Sounds like the .Trash on the external might be corrupt. Try running Disk Utility on it and verifying/repairing it.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
MyMac8MyPC

MyMac8MyPC is on a distinguished road

Trash it never worked correctly for me any time I needed it. I would keep looking. It took me around 4 programs before I found one that would work...
QUOTE Thanks
robgambla

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
Sounds like the .Trash on the external might be corrupt. Try running Disk Utility on it and verifying/repairing it.
U mean - examine the external USB, right?
QUOTE Thanks
robgambla

thanks, cradom!! disk repair did the trick
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 2 desktops | Syncing folder with DropBox »