New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac Freeze

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

binisingh

binisingh is on a distinguished road

This is my first post on the forums and am having a horendus time with my Mac Pro, info of computer:

2x 2.66 Dual Core Intel Xeon
16GB Ram
500Gig HD
2T - Second HD

All of a sudden my computer started to freeze up yesterday, it happend a few years ago and i cant remember for the life of me, how i fixed it.
IT happend after 5-10 mins of inactivity, somtimes a bit longer, sometimes a bit less. Cant use mouse, nor keyboard, compute fans seem to work fine.
Ran Disk Utilities, but after running Repail Permisions, it said it couldnt repair problem.

Eventually done an Archive and Install, ecveryrhing ran fine and there was no freeze after leaving machine for 10-20 mins. Ran Disk Utilities and the PErmisions were fine, everything looked perfect.

One thing i did notice was when archiving and installing, the computer, while installing did freeze as i left it for 5 mins so instead of re-starting it, i thought id leave it and do something else, it might come back on again and after an hour i came back and it just finished restating as the grey apple screen had started up, so it managed to work through the freeze.

Later on, went to lunch, came back after an hour and i came bak to a frozen computer again!

Ran DU and it showed a whole load of errors, couldnt run disk repair as it said the program failed after a while while hanging all other programs for at least 5-10 mins, all i could do was move the mouse, not click on anything.

I've purchased MacKeeper and ran all checks and everything thing seems to be running fine.

Is anyone else having this problem and does anyone have any soloutions please, can i run any more disk checks to see what could have caused the problem?

You're help would most apprecaited.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Bini
QUOTE Thanks
MyMac8MyPC

MyMac8MyPC is on a distinguished road

This might be a memory issue. Test it overnight....
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Pop in your system install disc and boot from that, hold down 'C' after the chime, leave Installer and go to Utilities in the Menu Bar, Disk Utility > Repair Disk and see what is reported. Apart from memory with Apple Hardware Test will diagnose, could be a failing or corrupt hard drive.

And get rid of MacKeeper using the uninstaller. It is crapware big time and will corrupt your computer. Have a look through the threads for MacKeeper.

mackeeper

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
binisingh

Hi guys,

Thanks for reply

@ MyMac8MyPC i will try to leaver on machine over night and see if it changes anything. Currently, the screen freezes just after 5 mins of inactivity.

@ harryb2448 *i do not have the original disks as it was pre-installed by IT department and they dont know where the disks are! Is there another way, i do have a Mac OSX DVD if that helps?

Thanks

Bini
QUOTE Thanks
MyMac8MyPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by binisingh View Post
it was pre-installed by IT department and they dont know where the disks are!
LOL... isn't that always what they say?

Quote:
i do have a Mac OSX DVD if that helps?
Do you mean a retail version? If so (and if it's the same version) then it might work. There is a copy of the Apple Hardware Test there.
QUOTE Thanks
binisingh

Hi,

I ran the DU off the retail version of the disk and it showed that it repaired the drive and i also ran the repair permissions too, also removed MacKeeper following the proper instructions and all looked fine until i left the machine for 5-10 mins and it froze again!
Is there anything else i could do?

Thanks

Bini
QUOTE Thanks
MyMac8MyPC

There should be a test on there that will test the memory, but you'll need to run it overnight for an accurate response.

Have you ever taken the cover of the computer off? A lot of times dust builds up and can cause them to freeze up.
QUOTE Thanks
binisingh

Hi Guys, just to let you guys know, i had a guy come over opened up the machine, took the graphics card out as it was making a heavy noise and plugged it back in after a quick hoover (hardly any dust at all!) and everything seems to be working fine!

Thank you all for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
MyMac8MyPC

Glad to hear it's working You'd be surprised to hear how many times it's just a bad connect causing so many problems. If you want to ensure the best connection possible, remove the graphics card and use a pencil eraser on the contacts. This will clean them properly and give you the best connection possible. Otherwise it might go bad again a few months down the road. Just make sure you only touch the contacts with the eraser and nothing else. Blow off any remains left behind from the eraser. It'll work like new
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Uninstalling/Installing Printer | Time Machine backup files invisible »