New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Upgrading from Leopard to Lion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

yakman

yakman is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine in Saudia Arabia, has had an issue while upgrading.

During the upgrade while the new operating system was being stalled he had a disk error.

What to do now?

He is stuck in a place where the apple support seems to be non existent.

Does he need start up disks? and is=f so where can he down load them?

Is there something else he needs to or can do?

Cheers

Francois
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

No, you can't download a start up disc.

What is he installing from, if not a bootable OS disc? (Be aware that if you have an answer to that, it may lead to this thread being closed.)
QUOTE Thanks
yakman

Thanks for the answer, it is as I suspected then.

As far as I know he doing it through the APP store? and so there were no disks involved and since he lives in South Africa and works in Saudi Arabia, his own disks are at home.

There is nothing unlawful being done here....so not sure why the thread should be locked?

Just trying to find a way to help a mate that is in trouble. Like I said nothing unlawful being done...

Cheers

Francois
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Is the machine still usable and can it connect to the 'net and assume you meant he was upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion as one needs OS X.6.6 or later to access the App Store.

If so have him go into the App Store, hold down the Option key and hit the Purchases button, click on Lion and download another copy f.o.c. Have him then burn to a USB thumb drive prior to running installer. He can boot from the thumb drive, go into Utilities and erase and repair the hard drive from there.

Here are details for burning the USB thumb drive:-

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-...b-flash-drive/

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
assume you meant he was upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion as one needs OS X.6.6 or later to access the App Store.
That would make a big difference, wouldn't it...
QUOTE Thanks
yakman

Thanks once again for the help, but as I understand it the machine is not able to go on the net, in fact it is in "loop" in the install process....

Harry your signature says it all.....Hang on to those original install discs like grim death!!

It is not looking good....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Enabled "Back to my Mac", now iMac doesn't auto connect to wifi network? | How to change resolution in Lion from 1080i? »