New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lion recovery on Mini with new SSD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frankramos0023

frankramos0023 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2011 MacMini - 2.5ghz 128gb SSD + 500gb HDD, 2012 - MBP 2.4 ghz 256 gb SSD

I need your help guys, I just installed a Crucible M4 128gb SSD on my new 2011 mac mini with a 2.5 ghz processor. I cloned my old HDD onto the SSD using Superduper. It seemed to work okay but it wasn't giving me the start up time I had seen from other SSDs, 45-49 secs. So I decided to press command-R to do a fresh online Lion recovery.
My question is: will this clean out the SSD completely and reinstall Lion as I hope it will or will it add another Lion onto the stuff that was cloned to the SSD?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

SSDs do not take well to receiving data from cloning. Always do a clean install.

As for using the Lion Recovery partition, that should work to remove the cloned information and do a clean install. Use Disk Utility from the Recovery partition to erase the drive first and prepare it for reinstallation before downloading Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
frankramos0023

Mac Specs: 2011 MacMini - 2.5ghz 128gb SSD + 500gb HDD, 2012 - MBP 2.4 ghz 256 gb SSD

It's installing right now. I'll see if I didn't mess anything up. I pressed the recovery before I erased anything, will this affect it in any way?
QUOTE Thanks
frankramos0023

thanks chscag, it seems to be working okay. my start up is about 20 sec and it seems to be running rather quickly through everything.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

OK, it seems to have worked well. If you run into any problems later on you can always do a complete clean install as I mentioned above.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Security problem? | 2 desktops »