New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

About to download Lion and have a

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

CrimsonTide

CrimsonTide is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 MacBook Maverick 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB Memory

few questions. If anyone could help, I would appreciate it:

I will be downloading to a 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz core 2 due and have
200 GB space available on my HD. I have done a backup to an external drive.
My questions are:

1. Will I have to reload software such a Microsoft Office for Mac?
2. Does Lion work well with Microsoft Office for Mac?
3. Will my files in Microsoft Office be harmed as part of the upgrade? (assuming normal upgrade without some kind of crash)
4. Will my emails on my system remain or will I lose them?
5. Approximately how much time should I allow for the upgrade?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

You didn't mention which version of Office you have and that's important because: Office 2008 (with updates) and Office 2011 are compatible with Lion. However, Office 2004 and earlier are not.

Upgrading to Lion will not harm your Office files or any other documents and mail. Time it takes to upgrade depends on your connection (it's a large download). Once it's downloaded, the upgrade process should be fairly fast.

Make sure you read this information first before allowing the install to proceed after the download is completed.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonTide

CrimsonTide is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 MacBook Maverick 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4 GB Memory

I actually have Office 2011.

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Good advice making a copy prior to installing, but personally found it easier to set up lion on a USB thumb drive.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upgrading from Lion to Lion Server??? | Mac Mini 3.1, No Audio Output Devices Found »