New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Lion Problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tech Bloke

Tech Bloke is on a distinguished road

I decided to go the iCloud route but wish I hadn't!!! In theory it seemed like a good idea to upgrade to Lion OS from 10.6.8, but in practice I was no longer able to sync my HTC HD2 mobile with Address on my Mac Mini, the mouse worked completely the opposite way to what I was used to (very annoying!!), my Pro Tools 9 and Mbox stopped working completely!!!!!

Despite a variety of options to try and get everything working as it was before, nothing did! So I had to take the drastic step of erasing the HDD and re-installing everything!!! Which again, in theory, should have been fine but it's not!! iWeb never re-installed and despite further attempts with the "Bundled Apps" disk, I had to download a 3.04 version of just this to get a working copy!!

Next problem: iWork 08, despite several re-installation attempts, Pages, Keynote and Numbers do not work!!! They load but when you try and type anything in you get nothing!!! Yet they all worked fine when I first bought the Mac Mini and installed them!! - There's nothing wrong with the keyboard as I've used it to type this message.

And there's more.... I upgraded my mobile to the iPhone 4s (finally, after waiting a ridiculous amount of time for the stores to get them in!!!) and naturally wanted to copy across all the contacts from my iPhone to Address and so followed the instructions to set syncing up to do this in iTunes. Did it work? Did it ever!!! No, so it's looking as though I'll have to manually type them all in! What a pain!!!

So as things stand, I have no iWork 08 apps working and at this moment in time no way of syncing my contacts from my iPhone 4s into Address!!!! I certainly don't have the budget for upgrading all the software. CAN ANYONE HELP???
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

I'm not 100% positive about this but I believe iWork08 is not compatible with Lion. I haven't tried to install my copy so I can't verify that. However, I do know that the current suite of iWork apps that are available at the Mac App store have been updated for Lion.

If you can't afford to replace iWork08, I suggest downloading the free LibreOffice suite from here. It works with Lion.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Bloke View Post
I decided to go the iCloud route but wish I hadn't!!! In theory it seemed like a good idea to upgrade to Lion OS from 10.6.8, but in practice I was no longer able to sync my HTC HD2 mobile with Address on my Mac Mini, the mouse worked completely the opposite way to what I was used to (very annoying!!), my Pro Tools 9 and Mbox stopped working completely!!!!!
I don't use iWork nor do I sync my phone with my Mac so I can't help you there but I might be able to address some of this.

First, the mouse: System Preferences > Trackpad > uncheck "When using gestures to scroll or navigate, move content in the direction of finger movement."

Second, Pro Tools. You didn't tell us what was wrong so I can only direct you to Avid's Lion troubleshooting and optimization guide here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
Tech Bloke

Tech Bloke is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I'll bear this in mind for Lion, which I have installed on the studio Mac Mini.

As far as the Production Mac Mini goes, everything is finally working after many hours sitting at the computer spread over the last three days!! It took 12-16 hours to download all the updates for iWork 08! I synced Address in the studio to my BT Yahoo contacts, then copied the relevant files across the network to Production and have now at least a substantial amount of contacts on this copy of Address, albeit some old ones. The iPhone did not sync in iTunes, despite everything being set up to do so, which of course prevented me from getting my latest contacts on the computer. Thankfully I had a backup copy of the Domain.sites2 file for iWeb so I could continue to use the same website and not lose it!!
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I'm not 100% positive about this but I believe iWork08 is not compatible with Lion. I haven't tried to install my copy so I can't verify that. However, I do know that the current suite of iWork apps that are available at the Mac App store have been updated for Lion.

If you can't afford to replace iWork08, I suggest downloading the free LibreOffice suite from here. It works with Lion.

iWork 08 works on my Lion install.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

I wasn't sure because I know it contains some PPC code. I wonder... was your copy already installed when you upgraded to Lion or did you install it after upgrading to Lion? Some apps that contain PPC code (the installer) will refuse to install to Lion but if already installed will not complain. I have several of those.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
I wasn't sure because I know it contains some PPC code. I wonder... was your copy already installed when you upgraded to Lion or did you install it after upgrading to Lion? Some apps that contain PPC code (the installer) will refuse to install to Lion but if already installed will not complain. I have several of those.
I ended up having to do a clean install (to attempt to alleviate my battery issues in Lion, sorta worked). I did use the installer on the disk (rather than using the command line installer and avoiding any installer PPC code issues that way). Which will work for those apps (probably) that will run fine in Lion, but not install.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mouse Battery Level | Flash Player plugin Quit Un-expectedly Message »