New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Operating System General OS operation information and support

Mac mini G4 OS X install

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jimchamp

jimchamp is on a distinguished road

Sorry, should say Mac mini G4 OS X install

I recently acquired a mac mini g4 from a friend of mine. It worked before I took it home, then when I turned it on at home the computer did not boot up. So here's what I have done so far:

1) Tried to boot from my recovery disk that came with my macbook.
Result: nothing happened (spinning loading wheel freeze at startup)

2) Tried to boot from snow leopard disc.
Result: same as above.
2b) Then, I did a quick erase of the HD, created an iso file of snow leopard and put it on the clean drive. I then booted from the HD and I got to the language selection of mac os install.
Result: "mac os x cannot be installed on this computer" error

3) Now I just tried to install 10.4 Tiger from a retail disc.
Result: Loading screen went black and wont open the mac os install guide.

I am also limited to what I can do under the disk utility program. I cant erase the HD anymore, it is verified as working though. This is frustrating because it seems like the computer does not want take any of the OS I throw at it.

Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

G'day and welcome to the forums.

1. The mini will never boot from a MB disc. The original install discs are extremely model specific.

2. No G4 can ever install from a Snow Leopard disc as they are Intel only.

3. If it is a black OS X.4 Tiger disc Snow Leopard has corrupted something. If it is a silver grey Tiger disc see answer 1.

Check up on all these things before going in.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimchamp View Post
Sorry, should say Mac mini G4 OS X install
Fixed thread title.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
jimchamp

I have the black disc.

Now how do I fix the problem of snow leopard corrupting my HD?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you boot from the Tiger disc? Pop it in, reboot and hold down 'C' after the chime until the gear wheel starts up and release. If any joy should open to installer, go to Utilities > Disk Utility and format Mac OS Extended (Journalled) which will wipe the drive, back to the installer and proceed.

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks
jimchamp

I think the HD or some other hardware might be shot because when I held the c key upon boot up nothing happened, same when I held the option key. This is just very frustrating.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

What was frustrating to the computer was trying to boot from impossible software alas.

QUOTE Thanks
jimchamp

One more question....

How do you completely delete everything (including partitions) on your hard drive using the terminal commands?

The disk utility will not erase the hard drive. The button is greyed out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CPUor RAM task bar? | Restoring from a Lion Time Machine backup onto a MacBook running Leopard »